A few years ago, I saw a wreath in a store pretty much encrusted in charming, vintage-style ornaments. But it cost $100 – on sale. That's just not in my budget.
So of course, I made my own with vintage ornaments and a hot glue gun. When I put it in the basement after the holidays were over, it slipped off its nail and many of the ornaments shattered.
I set it aside, but didn't do anything with it last year. I didn't decorate at all for Christmas – I was too busy planning our tiny wedding .
A few weeks ago, Rob and I deep-cleaned our basement, and when we were done hauling four (!) artificial trees to the thrift shop, I found the wreath with its shards of ornaments attached.
I used a hairdryer to detach the broken ornaments, and gathered the other vintage ornaments I've picked up at garage and estate sales. I also found a box of gorgeous red vintage ornaments Rob gave me for Christmas a few years ago. In my lack of decorating last year, I'd forgotten about them. I also had some vintage-style new ornaments.
I started adding more ornaments with my hot glue gun, and ever time I thought I might be done, I tried to add more.
The result is stunning, and I made it more secure by actually tying a ribbon to the wire wreath base, rather than hot-gluing it. I hung it on a wall instead of a door to try to prevent it from falling again.
It's gorgeous and sparkly - I'm so glad I was able to fix it.