Candidates for contested county board races were given the opportunity to answer a series of questions about county government. Here are the answers from Aaron Esry, a Republican candidate in District 3 :
1. Name five things you would like to accomplish in the next two years on the Champaign County Board.
2. What criticisms do you have of the current county board?
3. Under what circumstances, if any, would you vote for another increase in property taxes to support the operation of the Champaign County Nursing Home?
4. Under what circumstances could you vote to sell or close the Champaign County Nursing Home?
5. Would you vote to increase the $60 per diem paid to county board members?
6. Which county offices, if any, do you believe could be eliminated or consolidated with another county office?
7. What specific actions could be taken to cut the county budget?
8. Do you think the downtown Urbana correctional center should be closed and all of its functions moved to an expanded correctional center on Lierman Avenue in Urbana?
9. What programs and services that the county does not provide, if any, do you think are needed?
10. Do you believe the county should take on part of the financial obligation to operate Willard Airport as an economic development tool? Why or why not?
11. What can the county board do to enhance economic development locally?
12. With a smaller county board in December, do you think the county board meeting room should be reconfigured at an undetermined cost to improve communications among board members and to enhance television coverage of the board?