URBANA — A fire in a wall of a downtown Urbana restaurant Friday afternoon was quickly put out by Urbana firefighters, meaning only a slight interruption in business.
Urbana Fire Chief Mike Dilley said firefighters were called to the Black Dog Smoke & Ale House restaurant at 201 S. Broadway Ave. at 12:51 p.m.
"The fire was confined to an old window that had been boarded over in the back on the south side. It looked like someone put a cigarette on the concrete ledge that ignited that old wood and (fire) got up inside the wall," said Dilley.
The popular barbecue eating establishment was filled with customers, who were evacuated as a precaution; but Dilley said the fire was out within 10 minutes and flames and smoke never reached the restaurant portion.
"The alertness of the people in the building helped a whole lot. They found it early," he said, adding that no one had owned up to putting the cigarette there.
"It's a good reminder that improperly discarded smoking materials are a large cause of fires in this country," he said.
Dilley estimated damage at $10,000 and said business proprietors planned to put a cigarette butt container outside the business.
The business had reopened to customers by 2 p.m.