HOMER — Firefighters believe that a burning candle caused a fire that resulted in an estimated $15,000 damage to a rural Homer home on Wednesday night.
Homer Fire Chief Don Happ said that firefighters were called to a fire at 752 County Road 2700 E south of Homer at 8:36 p.m. Wednesday.
When they arrived a few minutes later, Happ said firefighters saw smoke coming from the eaves and from a second-floor bedroom on the north side of the two-story house.
Homer firefighters received mutual aid assistance from the Ogden-Royal, St. Joseph-Stanton and Sidney fire departments, along with Pro Ambulance.
Three people inside the home escaped unharmed, according to Happ. No firefighters were hurt.
Firefighters put a ladder on the north side of the home and climbed to the second-floor bedroom to put out the fire. Happ estimated the fire was under control by 9 p.m. but they remained until about 10:30 p.m.
"It took quite a while to get all the smoke out of the house," said Happ.
"It looks like a burning candle in the bedroom started the fire," Happ said.
Happ estimated total damage at $15,000, mostly to the bedroom and its contents.