RANTOUL — A faulty electrical cord beneath a pile of clothing was blamed for a fire that caused an estimated $30,000 damage to a Rantoul residence Thursday afternoon.
Rantoul Fire Chief Ken Waters said the blaze happened at an apartment occupied by Iris Gaines and her three children at 128 1/2 N. Garrard St.
No one was home at the time of the fire, Waters said.
A resident in another apartment in the building called Rantoul police at 1:05 p.m. and said she smelled "something foul," Waters said.
The bedroom where the fire originated sustained the most damage. The kitchenette and living room sustained smoke and heat damage.
Thirteen firefighters responded to the call and cleared the scene at 1:57 p.m.
Waters said Red Cross officials were scheduled to meet with the family "and get them a place to stay and some clothes."