IVESDALE — Firefighters believe a lit cigarette thrown into a garbage can started to a fire that destroyed an Ivesdale home Monday night. Nobody was reported hurt.
According to an Ivesdale Fire Department report, firefighters were called at 7:13 p.m. to a fire in a single-story home at 201 Fourth St., Ivesdale. They were assisted by firefighters from Bement and Sadorus.
"When we got there, we saw smoke and flames coming from the northwest corner of the house," said Ivesdale Fire Chief Jim Brewer.
A man who lived in the home escaped without injuries, and Brewer said the Red Cross was helping him find a place to stay.
The fire was under control by 7:35 p.m., and firefighters left the scene at 8:30 p.m.
Brewer said the fire was caused by a lit cigarette thrown into a garbage can in a living room in the northwest corner of the home. He said the house appeared to be a total loss.
"The home is totally uninhabitable," he said.
Brewer said the owner of the property was listed as Robert Dick of Ivesdale.