5 O'Clock Shadow

5 O'Clock Shadow

To read Bob Asmussen's latest football chat, click here.

Illinois has signed off on the idea of playing its 2010 game against Northwestern at Wrigley Field. The project is now in the hands of Northwestern officials.

The Nov. 20 game is supposed to be a Northwestern home game.

Will Illinois give up a future home game in the series to play at Wrigley?

"Absolutely not," Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther said Thursday.

There are no negotiations between Illinois and the Cubs/Northwestern.

If the 2010 game is moved to Wrigley Field, Illinois will get the usual 4,000 tickets given to Big Ten road teams. The Illini might reconsider the team's road hotel for the game, which is closer to the Northwestern campus than to Wrigley.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

Anonymous User wrote on January 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Good Afternoon: This would be a great venue for young atheletes. Tradition,pro flare,go for it!!News Gazette sports writers are numero uno.

MJohnston wrote on January 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Now why would we want to play in that dump?

MyTurn2Raze wrote on January 28, 2010 at 6:01 pm

this makes sense

Ryan Field is a dump as well

At least Wrigley has bars nearby to drown my Illini football sorrows

CecilColeman wrote on January 28, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Where can I find binoculars that can see through or around posts?

Illini1973 wrote on January 29, 2010 at 9:01 am
Profile Picture

Well, I guess if we can't play on Soldier Field (which would be half empty).

Matt wrote on January 29, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Soldier Field only holds 61,500.

I would think NWST and UI could each get around 25k for a game that is more or less a home game for each. If the teams had winning records it may even sell out.