Aaron Bailey update

The Illini's top football recruit, quarterback Aaron Bailey of Bolingbrook, hopes to return from injury in time for the playoffs, which start next week.

Bailey sprained the MCL in his right knee Sept. 28.

Said his father, O Bailey: "The swelling has gone down, so they're taking it week by week. He will not play this Friday because he's still got swelling. The doctors explained a sprain is no different than a tear with the exception of no surgery needed. You've just got to take the time to heal it on its own."

More in Friday's recruiting blog

Comments

aaeismacgychel wrote on October 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Raise your hand if you thought this was going to a decommitment update.

*raises hand*

Well, I hope you heal up, Aaron. As someone who has had a 2nd Degree MCL sprain, those things are quite unenjoyable and aggravating little suckers. You feel fine running and making cuts, but bending over and going up stairs is pretty frustrating. Plus it seems like it took forever for mine to heal. Best of luck to you.

illinifaningeorgia wrote on October 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I mentioned in a post about a month ago that I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey de-committed (like the Indiana QB recruit last year who changed his mind and signed with Notre Dame).

I stand by my comment.

aaeismacgychel wrote on October 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yeah. To be honest, I have the exact same feeling as you. I guess the only difference is that I was shocked Kiel committed to Indiana in the first place and wasn't terribly surprised Bailey committed here. So at elast we have that going for us. Hopefully the prescribed treatment of his MCL is to not watch any Illini games or read about how we're doing...

peterborich wrote on October 18, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Just a couple of bad fans, you two is.  I Raise Both of my hands that you guys never post here again.

aaeismacgychel wrote on October 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Perhaps, but honestly, Aaron Bailey and all college kids have to do what's best for them. Be honest, if Bailey did decommit and went elsewhere, would you blame him with what's going on at our school? I know I wouldn't. I'd wish him luck. With each blowout loss, the pressure on Bailey to break his commitment will get higher and higher. And he might not want to be part of a major rebuilding effort especially if he thought we were much further along than we were at the time he committed. I'll never stand in the way of a kid choosing a school over another for either educational purposes, or that it's a better fit for them. They need to do what's best for them and they deserve that right. Don't get me wrong, I hope he comes here, but the more we keep losing like we are, the more I see him rethinking his commitment and looking at other options.

illinifaningeorgia wrote on October 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I'm not a bad fan. Bad fans would HOPE that the kid de-commits.  I absolutely hope that he comes to Illinois and becomes one of the building blocks for a brighter football future.

peterborich wrote on October 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

If you are not a bad fan, then why predict the key recruit of next year's class. Is going decommit?  Cayate, Señor IllinifaninGeorgia