Northwestern 50, Illinois 14: Just the facts

PLAY OF THE GAME
Nothing sums up a bad season like watching the backup left tackle get behind to defense to catch a 24-yard touchdown pass with nary a defender within sight. Paul Jorgensen, a 295-pound sophomore, darted up the seam uncovered to give the ‘Cats a 41-14 lead, part of a 33-0 run to end the game. It was Jorgensen’s only reception of the season.

NUMBERS GAME
That’s how many games Illinois coach Tim Beckman said Illinois players missed in 2012 because of injury. Stars Nathan Scheelhaase, Jonathan Brown and Terry Hawthorne were among those who were sidelined for extended periods. “The worst I’ve ever been around, but, hey, it’s college football,” Beckman said.

WHAT IT MEANS
The Illini were thoroughly embarrassed by their in-state rival in a city it so desperately wants to own. Beckman and Co. won’t have to wait long for another chance to win over the Windy City, the Illini hosting Washington State at Soldier Field in September. Good seats will be available.

WHAT’S NEXT
Possibly changes to the coaching staff in what has the makings of a very long offseason. The Illini have lost nine straight and will have nine months to stew over it before welcoming Southern Illinois to Memorial Stadium on Aug. 31.

Categories (3):Illini Sports, Football, Sports

Comments

PeterE wrote on November 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm

The most pertinent fact is that Tim Beckman and his fellow staff of bozos can't coach a lick.

They, all of them, need to go away. Only question is if Mike Thomas has the guts, honesty and sincerity to admit he made a gigantic mistake and remedy it ASAP by firing them now.

jimbo2009 wrote on November 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Let's hope so.

illiniearl wrote on November 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hey uh Marcus, I wish it would be Washington State next season at Soldier Field - that would be a pretty even matchup.

Unfortunately it will be Univ of Washington, though for the PAC 12, still not a strong team.

Can you get me that Gonzaga ticket for next month's matchup in Spokane as a prize or maybe a press pass?

I'll buy you dinner there, show you the fabulous Spokane Falls, and give you a tour of the nearby Air Force Base!  You'll find my number in my account profile.  Thanks!

bernies wrote on November 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Loved this bit from the Chicago Tribune:

"Beckman's locker room message was clear. 'There's only one way you can go,' he said. 'Forward.'"

Uhhh...I'm thinking farther backward is also an option...

butkus50 wrote on November 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Thomas cannot fire Beckman yet so I suggest all assistant coaches be fired except defensive line coach and Butkus. then hire coach Vic Koening as "Co-Assistant Head Coach" and put him totally in charge of defense, hiring defensive coaches, and calling all defensive plays. Let Beckman concentrate, if he is capable, of trying to score points. that's about the best we can expect next two years unless Thomas has a money printing machine in his office.

First year coaches at Ohio State and Texas A&M did quite well; they may have had more talent but look what they did with it. Our clown went downhill, or should I say down the drain.

griff507 wrote on November 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm

If Beckman had any honor, he would admit that he is in way over his head, and rip up his contract, and let Illinois find a replacement. He may still be able to find a high school coaching job, not as a head coach, maybe a kicking coach. I know his ego will not let that happen, but we can always hope.

I truely feel bad for the players. I have no clue how he hasn't lost the locker room yet. I look for a lot of players to leave school soon. I know they will have to sit out a year after transfering, but why would they WANT to stay. No coaches, no fan base, no fun! You only go through college once, you need to have some fun. Football players at Illinois have none.