Updated: Linebacker Neal leaving Illini

Updated: Linebacker Neal leaving Illini

CHAMPAIGN — Illinois starting linebacker T.J. Neal will skip his final year of eligibility and transfer to another school, coach Bill Cubit said Tuesday morning.

“He’s graduating, and he was talking about playing closer to home,” Cubit said. “That’s what he’s going to do. He’s a good kid, and I respect his feelings about what he wants to do. I wish him all the luck.”

Want to sound off on Neal's transfer? We're chatting Friday.

Neal, a 6-foot-1, 235-pounder, came to Illinois in 2012 after a standout career at McKeesport (Pa.) High School. He redshirted his first season, then played in all 12 games in 2013, making 38 tackles. In 2014, he had 98 tackles to rank 18th in the Big Ten.

As a junior, Neal finished second on the team in tackles with 109 and fifth in the Big Ten.

Only Clayton Fejedelem (140) had more tackles among the Illini, with Neal’s 14 tackles for loss ranking second on the team.

Had he decided to stay at Illinois, Neal would have had an important role with the team. After all, he started every game for the Illini the last two seasons at middle linebacker and leaves Illinois with 245 career tackles.

“He’s a good football player,” Cubit said. “Family is first. I understand.”

Neal, who has a 4-month-old daughter, posted a brief statement on his Twitter account Tuesday afternoon announcing his transfer.

“It has been a blessing to call the University of Illinois my home for the last year (four) years,” Neal wrote. “Thank you to Coach Tim Beckman and the Illinois football program for allowing me to be a part of this prestigious football program. I met a lot of great people and men that will be a part of my life forever. But I have made the decision to continue and finish my college football career elsewhere. I will be transferring to play my (fifth) year of eligibility at another university. This was not an easy decision, but it is God’s plan for me.”

Cubit said he likes the rule that allows graduating players the opportunity to transfer without sitting out a year.

“I think it’s good, Cubit said.

Neal talked to the coaches about transferring “in the last three or four days.”

Cubit said he doesn’t know where Neal will play in 2016.

“I told him I’d help him,” Cubit said. “It’s a player decision, and we’ll move on.”

With Neal leaving, the Illini will be without six of their top seven tacklers from 2015. Safety Taylor Barton is the lone returnee. With Mason Monheim having graduated and Neal transferring, James Crawford is the only starter coming back in 2016, with depth an issue at the position after B.J. Bello and LaKeith Walls both announced they would transfer in the last week. Tre Watson, Mike Svetina and Austin Roberts are returnees who could vie for a starting spot in 2016 with Neal’s departure.

Also on Tuesday, receiver Marchie Murdock wrote on Twitter that he is leaving the Illinois program because of his mom’s health concerns. Murdock was sixth on the team with 20 catches for 194 yards last season. Three of the top five receivers return, and the Illini welcome back 2014 leader Mikey Dudek. Murdock, a redshirt sophomore last season, is a native of Arlington, Texas, and said he would get his degree at Illinois and then become a graduate transfer.

“Unfortunately my mother is sick and it would kill me if I couldn’t be able to see her if something bad happened,” Murdock wrote. “This was the main reason in my decision. With countless praying and talking with my family, I feel this is the right thing to do.”

Running back Henry Enyenihi also plans to transfer. The junior college product, who was part of the 2015 class, ran 20 times for 60 yards in a backup role last season.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

illini82 wrote on January 26, 2016 at 11:01 am

This loss really really hurts. 

Wonder what his real motivation was besides being closer to home. It might be as simple as .."hey...I want to play in a bowl game...ANY bowl game at least once in my college career".

He didn't say that but gotta think that's partly the motivation. Too bad as he'll be sorely missed.

Chalk it up to the administration in thier complete imcompetence in waiting so long to fire Thomas that they had no real option but to continue the "interim" tag on the program which does no good at all.

 

Rockie7 wrote on January 26, 2016 at 3:01 pm

If only there was a school close to his hometown, that did well with 5th year grad transfers and needed LBs. Oh wait, it is Michigan

Dan Bloeme wrote on January 26, 2016 at 12:01 pm

The lengthy list of transfers and decommitments from former recruits continues under interim Coach Cubit. They can clearly see Illinois is a sinking ship and want to jump ship and save their souls while there is still a chance. Can't blame them. Blame the self-serving Cubits, clueless Barbara Wilson and inept Killeen.

Moonpie wrote on January 26, 2016 at 3:01 pm

And yet the Sleepy Gazoo likes to speculate about the team winning seven or eight this coming season. That's as absent from reality as a GOP debate.

RPeterE wrote on January 26, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Not surprising at all. Cubit fired Defensive Coordinator Banks, also DB coach and linebacker coach. Then he allowed two other senior linebackers to leave by not offering them 5th years (booted) and he under-appreciated Neal as well and opened the door for him to leave. No surprise here Illini fans. This is the same Cubit who rewarded an improved Illini defense by firing Banks freeing up over $400K in assistants salaries so he could overpay his underqualified and undeserving son an exorbitant amount. Sheer nepotism and unethical lunacy but what else do you expect from an dead man walking interim coach. The poorly performing Cubits decided to get what they can and strike while the fires hot and to hell with Illini players and fans.

JimOATSfan wrote on January 26, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Wishing all the best to the transfering players - thanks for being Illini!

Perhaps it is for the best as they were not able to win in the Big10. The new defensive co-ordinator Phair and linebacker coach McGaricle may have their sights set on incoming talent. They know talent. The greater the disciplined play by talented student-athletes, the better the results in the win column.

Also, the departing receivers dropped their fair-share of passes last season. There may be better hands-on-deck, so to speak.

I still expect an improved team next season and look forward to the 1st weekend in September.

Go Illini!

TyroneHogglegg wrote on January 26, 2016 at 10:01 pm

hahahaha...yeah, Cubey and his over paid kid are laffing all the way to the bank...they have at least 2 years to squeeze as much cash out of this school as possible...and THEY dont need to win....

tonyjb37 wrote on January 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Profile Picture

The cube is a quack and his son is to. The ship is not sinking it has been sunk for years!