Three-point project: Conference USA

Three-point project: Conference USA


On March 18, 1993, UAB beat Alabama 58-56 on Robert Shannon's late three-pointer in Tuscaloosa. The game was a rare opportunity for UAB to play the Tide, which went out of its way to avoid its neighbor. Fans to this day have keychains and bumper stickers that denote the final score, "58-56."


Chris Baez hit a three-pointer from the corner with four seconds remaining to give UCF a 72-71 victory at New Mexico on Nov. 23, 2008. The victory snapped New Mexico's 33-game home nonconference winning streak.


In 2007, Sam Hinnant's three against North Carolina State broke a 64-all tie with 2:13 to play, putting the Pirates ahead to stay and giving ECU its first victory against the Wolfpack.


On March 13, 2010, Adam Brown gave Houston a 74-70 lead with 2:18 left against No. 25 UTEP in the Conference USA tournament title game. Houston won 81-73 for its first C-USA basketball title and returned to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1992.


On Jan. 21, 2009, Markel Humphrey rebounded a missed shot from SMU's Derek Williams with four seconds to play, took several dribbles and then launched a 75-foot three-pointer that banked off the glass and in to give Marshall a 53-50 win.


In the week leading up to a No. 1-No. 2 showdown against Tennessee in the 2007-08 season, the Tigers nearly slipped up at UAB. At 24-0, they were down 77-70 with 1:23 left when Antonio Anderson and Chris Douglas-Roberts hit back-to-back three-pointers. Roberts' three-point play with five seconds left allowed Memphis to escape 79-78. The Tigers would lose to Tennessee but wound up reaching the NCAA title game, where they lost to Kansas on another pretty big three-pointer.


D'Wayne Tanner knocked down a 23-footer with one second to play to give Rice a 65-62 road win at Baylor on Jan. 13, 1990. The win was part of a 4-1 Southwest Conference start for the Owls.


On Feb. 6, 1993, Chad Allen hit a three with three seconds left to force overtime against Rice. SMU won 78-77 en route to the Southwest Conference title and an NCAA tournament berth.


In the second round of the 1987 NIT, in front of a sellout crowd in Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis was ahead 78-77 in overtime. John White hit a line-drive three-pointer out of the right corner, which bounced high off the rim before dropping through with 1:28 to go to give the Golden Eagles the lead and the victory. Southern Miss went on to win the 50th NIT championship.


On Dec. 5, 1995, Tulane trailed Florida State 77-75 when Jerald Honeycutt hit a three-pointer as the clock hit 0:00 for a 78-77 victory in the Louisiana Superdome.


Lou Dawkins' three against Oklahoma State in the 1994 NCAA tournament second round gave Tulsa a four-point lead, 82-78, with 0:06 left. Tulsa won 82-80 and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time in school history.


On March 22, 1992, against top seed Kansas in the second round of the NCAA tournament at Dayton, Ohio, Prince Stewart hit a three-pointer from the top of the key with 8:00 remaining, giving the Miners a 45-43 lead. UTEP wouldn't trail again in an eventual 66-60 upset that put the Miners in the Sweet 16 for the final time under legendary coach Don Haskins. It was UTEP's only three-pointer as the Miners finished 1 of 7 from beyond the arc.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Zentrails wrote on March 19, 2012 at 10:03 am

I was in grad school at Southern Miss during that NIT title game.

Also got to watch Brett Favre at QB for them.

Great memories.