Three-point project: Mountain West

Three-point project: Mountain West


Jacob Burtschi hit the game-winner with 18 seconds left to beat Utah 52-51 on Feb. 18, 2006, in Salt Lake City. The win improved the Falcons to 21-5 and 9-4 in the Mountain West Conference and helped them reach the NCAA tournament that season.


Trailing by one with 1:16 remaining in the 1988 Big Sky Conference championship game, junior Wilson Foster hit a three-pointer to give Boise State a 61-59 lead against Montana State. The Bobcats would respond to tie the game with 41 seconds remaining, but a layup from Chris Childs with two seconds left gave the Broncos their first conference championship and their first trip to the NCAA tournament in 12 years.


Micheal Morris hit a three-pointer with four seconds left to beat the Utes 66-65 in 2002-03. The win catapulted the Rams to an unprecedented run through the MWC tournament a week later: A No. 6 seed, they beat Wyoming, BYU and host UNLV en route to the program's last appearance in the NCAA tournament.


On Feb. 1, 1998, Royce Olney hit a three-pointer with 4.6 seconds left, capping No. 14 New Mexico's late rally and sending No. 3 Utah to its first loss of the season, 77-74. The Lobos extended their home winning streak to 38 games. Olney hit 6 of 7 three-pointers, including his game-winner from 21 feet.


On Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West tournament, league MVP Jamaal Franklin saved the Aztecs from an upset loss to Boise State. As the clock ticked down and the score tied, double-teamed Franklin tossed an off-balance shot, falling to the court as the ball went through the nets for a 68-65 victory. "I believed in myself," Franklin said. "I always practice the last shot. When it left my hand, I felt it was going to go in."


Corey Santee hit a game-winning three-pointer with 12.8 seconds left in overtime to give TCU a 60-57 win over Marquette in the opening round of the 2005 Conference USA tournament. TCU went on to reach the quarterfinal round of the NIT.


Down two with 30 seconds left in its West Region semifinal against Arizona in the 1989 NCAA tournament, UNLV got a break when Wildcats guard Matt Muehlebach traveled. Following a timeout by Jerry Tarkanian, UNLV burned 26 seconds before Anderson Hunt and Arizona's Kenny Lofton made contact. With no whistle blown, Lofton fell to the ground and Hunt regrouped to shoot the winning trey with just two seconds left in a 68-67 win.


In the semifinals of the 1987 Western Athletic Conference tournament, Reggie Fox hit a three-pointer with 11 seconds to go to put Wyoming up 77-74 on UTEP and coach Don Haskins. Fox had 24 points and was 6 of 6 from three-point range. Wyoming then beat New Mexico in the title game to reach the NCAA tournament, advancing to the Sweet 16.

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments