Orange Hush - can it work?

Orange Hush - can it work?

CHAMPAIGN — The Orange Krush wants everyone at the Assembly Hall to give John Groce the silent treatment for his Illinois coaching debut.

In a good way.

Playing off Taylor (Ind.) University’s “Silent Night," the Krush plans to stand in silence until the Illini score their 10th point in Friday’s season opener against Colgate (WDWS 1400-AM, WHMS 97.5-FM).

“On a personal level, it’s going to be really strange for me,” said Daniel Borup, president of Illini Pride. “Usually I’m screaming my head off, getting pumped up.”

The Krush devised “Orange Hush” as a way to recognize Groce, who played college basketball at Taylor. The NAIA school in Upland, Ind., has drawn national attention for its “Silent Night” promotion, which annually draws a sellout crowd to 2,500-seat Odle Arena. A quiet one, too, until Taylor reaches 10 points. Then the place goes bonkers.

Watch it here

“The longer it takes, the anticipation builds,” Borup said.

Some of Bruce Weber’s offensively challenged teams might have kept the Assembly Hall quiet for some time. Borup is confident Groce’s starting five can deliver in a hurry.

“I’m flattered and honored that they would basically honor Taylor University and welcome me and my family in that way,” Groce said.
“It’ll be interesting how you can get 18- to 22-year-olds ... to be quiet until the 10th point, that’s pretty amazing.”

Old-timers, too.

“We’d love if everyone got involved,” Borup said. “We want the Assembly Hall to be pin-drop quiet.”

Jim Rossow

Comments

krumby wrote on November 07, 2012 at 1:11 pm

How's this for a novel idea... how about being loud and frantic the entire game?  Personally, I think the Orange Hush is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard of.  I also feel that it reflects the diminishing reputation of the Orange Krush as an intimidating cheering section.  They need less gimick, and more frenzy loud enthusiasm.

SwifferFan wrote on November 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I've experienced this at another school's game a couple of years ago and the result was electrifying.  Once the 10th point is scored, the stricted energy pent up during the first part of the game carries over for the evening.  At that game, everyone was talking about how exhilerating the moment was.  There was the general amusement of not saying anything to the overflow release of energy when everyone could scream.....almost raised the roof.

JDG613 wrote on November 08, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Well, aren't YOU just a cold splash of water.....?  So it's a gimmick....what's wrong with that?  Not like they're telling people to just stay away until the team wins its 10th game.

Man....what we DON'T need is more stick-in-the-mud fans.....

illini4fan wrote on November 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I personaly think this is an awesome idea!!!! The pent up energy building until that tenth point is scored and then everyone going nuts would be exhilerating!!! I believe the players would feed on that energy also, it would be an awesome experience to be a part of!

PeterE wrote on November 07, 2012 at 2:11 pm

It may not work, too many people probably won't know about it or forget themeselves. But if ever it had a chance to work is under Groce. If Weber was still here the only thing you would hear is Weber's voice screaming across the court as he micromanages the effort not to lose.

zip wrote on November 07, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Two of my sons went to John Brown University, a small Christian school in northwest Arkansas, that participates in the NAIA.  When the first field goal of the season is scored, the student body throws thousands of rolls toilet paper onto the floor.

HoosierIllinois wrote on November 08, 2012 at 1:11 pm

First they bob up and down like Dukies.  Now they want to imitate Taylor University.  It would be nice for they to develope their own identity.  It should start with people going to the games (including exhibitions).  Growing up in Indiana I got to watch Purdue and IU games (as did Groce) and their fans make every game fun with no gimmicks even when their teams suck.