UI 63, G-W 62: Just the facts

UI 63, G-W 62: Just the facts

Marcus Jackson's quick take on Sunday's win at the Assembly Hall:

WHAT HAPPENED
Illinois took what John Groce called a haymaker from Gardner-Webb, falling behind by as many as eight points, before leaning on its upperclassmen in the second half and got a big-time three-pointer from Tyler Griffey late to escape with a win to keep the record unblemished after seven games.

WHAT THE BULLDOGS SAID
“I figured that Illinois was going to have to play through some jetlag and if there was ever a time to catch a really hot Illinois team, it was probably right now. We probably caught them at a good time.” — coach Chris Holtmann

WHAT THE ILLINI SAID
“(Gardner-Webb) deserved it, they did. But, as I told the guys in the locker room, we’re not going to give it back. We’re not going to do that.” — coach John Groce

WHAT IT MEANS
The Illini don’t wilt under the pressure when things don’t go according to plan. For the second time this season, they took a big-time shot from an opponent and kept their poise to come from behind to hit a big shot in the closing seconds to come out on top. They’ll be popped a few more times throughout the course of the season and these experiences will help.

WHAT’S NEXT
A home game Wednesday against Georgia Tech in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The Illini have won three straight in the annual event pitting the two power conferences\, but the last time a Brian Gregory-coached team came to the Assembly Hall, Dayton ran past Illinois 77-71 in the NIT.

Comments

bernies wrote on November 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm

That headline is really misleading! It wasn't 63-52, it was 63-62! Another great last second win for the Illini!!!

DaisyJ wrote on November 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm

This is what you get with the outside 3 ball fiasco. Why do we recruit gazells to shoot set shot 3 ball shots. Why. Most players today are not skilled. They can dunk and shoot a three ball. Whoopie. Time the game went back to action. ]

Groce likes the ball screen, but these kids do nothing with it. Was a problem with Weborn. The screen takes place but the dribbler just backs off. What a waste of time not driving to the hole when you get a good screen.

Our rebounding is weak. We had no break to speak of. This is not going to serve us well unless we  understand how to change.

bernies wrote on November 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Whatever. As long as they manage to win at a decent pace, I'm happy.

griff507 wrote on November 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Daisy- You have never flown back from Hawaii, that is obvious. The 10 plus hour flight is a killer! You can't even catch a flight out until at least 7pm, that's 11pm here. You don't get home until about 10am the next day, don't know about you, not many people on my flights ever get to sleep on the plane. I didn't see any coments like yours after the Butler game, jetlag is a real pain in the back side. How about you watch a few more games before ripping a team that has not lost a game yet. No this was not a well played game, but at least it was a win! There have been very few of those at the U of I this year, so try to enjoy the ones we get. Groce is going to get the job done at Illinois, wish I could say the same for Beckman.

Jam wrote on November 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm

To win a game when you are not on your "A" game is a plus.  This often happens in basketball.  This team is still learning a system and how to play together in it. Nice win overall for the Illini

dave1956 wrote on November 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

A win is a win. thy cant take the win away from us. 13 more till the magic number of 20 wins. If we win 20 it will be hard to keep us fromthe NCAA.

beekay wrote on November 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I didn't have a chance to watch the game today, but I watched the games at the Maui Classic and this team played up tempo and didn't typically stand around watching the shot clock tick down as they threw up a desperation 3 pointer.  This team is being coached the right way.  There will be hiccups.  This is not a team that will go undefeated.  Today is one of those opportunistic games for the opposition.  Thanksgiving break with plenty of jet lag thrown in.  You hope to survive ugly moments like this, and we did.  I don't mind complainers because they have the right to complain when it is warranted.  But this has not been the same style of play as last year regardless of how things went today.  In light of a disastrous football season where we didn't see anything positive on the coaching side, I would hope people can at least be observant enough to see that we are on the right track with our basketball coaching change.

jules61 wrote on November 26, 2012 at 1:11 am

I watched the game and I commented that in the first half, I was disappointed in their rebounding. I did see alot of standing around by Griffey and that is what worries me. I agree with the jet lag, it s a killer. But unlike DaisyJ, it does not make me insult them. It makes me hopeful that when they are rested, they will get after it!! I like seeing Henry play and others that have not really had a chance. Like Mclaurin. Everyone has to fight for their place and it will be fun to watch them do it. Weber is gone, DaisyJ, and I think i said this to u last year: There is an undefeated team near by that is number one in the country. Go blog on their websites. You are not a happy person unless you are complaining. sad.