K-State rewards Weber

K-State rewards Weber

Kansas State has rewarded basketball coach Bruce Weber for winning a share of the school’s first conference championship in 36 years with a raise and a one-year contract extension.

Weber’s annually salary will increase by $250,000 to $1.75 million next season, and increase by $100,000 each of the remaining years on his original five-year deal. That means Weber will make $2.15 million for the 2017-18 season, the year that has been added to his contract.

Weber, who was hired to replace Frank Martin, went 27-8 in his first season in Manhattan. More importantly, he went 14-4 in the Big 12 and tied rival Kansas for a share of the championship.

The Wildcats were upset by No. 13 seed La Salle in the second round of the NCAA tournament last month.

Weber was fired at Illinois after the 2012 season.

Comments

westcoast wrote on April 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

Interesting and surprising decision by K-State.  Good for Bruce Weber, who works hard and knows how to coach players who are good.  I just don't see how the K-State situation will end differently than it did at Illinois.  The issue, of course, is recruiting.  If Bruce Weber had difficulty recruiting at Illinois, how will he do at K-State?  I guess time will tell.

illiniphil85 wrote on April 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

I can get the same coaching abilities out of a $19 Mr. Coffee and the Mr. Coffee may be a better recruiter.

GW wrote on April 10, 2013 at 11:04 am

I don't understand why you insist on updating Bruce Weber. He is no longer the coach at UI and as far as what happens to him at K-State I could care less. If other people want to follow him then let them go to their website. GET OFF OF THE BRUCE WEBER BANDWAGON!!

GO ILLINI!!!

ilhoops wrote on April 10, 2013 at 11:04 am

I agree with the comments about not updating Bruce Weber.  Everytime I see his name in print it makes me want to throw up.  I laughed when he did well with Frank Martin's team, what a shocker!  And I'm sure after the upset in the tourny, he blamed all his players publicaly.  It's all down hill from here for K State.  He never had one player that he recruited get better over their college career.  They were always the same player.

CecilColeman wrote on April 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Well said.

Bear8287 wrote on April 10, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Good for Bruce Weber. I, like others, have seen enough about Bruce Weber on IlliniHQ though.  If I really want to read more about KSU, I'll go to one of the KSU websites.

All-in-all, Bruce Weber didn't make out too bad for having the 3rd best team in the state of Kansas this year (final USA Today Coaches Poll #4 Wichita State, #8 Kansas, #20 Kansas State). He couldn't compete against Bill Self for Illinois' best players while he was at Illinois and I don't see him doing any better recruiting against Bill Self now that he is at KSU.  KSU returns 4 of its top 5 scorers and should be a decent team next season.  Maybe their best chance to beat Kansas at least once. After that, it looks like a long line of 3 star talent coming on board.  Just don't see that being competitive against other teams on a national level or against their in-state rivals for that matter.  It sounds like all of the makings to the script of a play that we've all seen before...

Amen wrote on April 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

What I have never read is what the partnership between Weber and Chris Lowery has produced. Weber was successful with Lowery as an assistant at SIU.  Weber's best years at UI was when Chris Lowery was his assistant.  Now at KS  Weber called on Chris Lowery to join him as his assistant.  I think they match up pretty well coaching together.  When Lowery went to SIU Weber was not as successful, and Lowery's at SIU was not so hot either.

JimOATSfan wrote on April 10, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Great season Coach Weber - congratulations.  Wishing you many more ... especially topping Kansas. Go Illini!

Illini 1st wrote on April 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I agree. Live long and prosper, Coach Weber, especially when you play Kansas.

CecilColeman wrote on April 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

That KSU Athletic Director myst enjoy scoring droughts of 7-8-9-10 minutes.

illinibball1 wrote on April 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

I'm glad he did well at KSU and love the fact that he gets to play Bill Self and Lon Krueger every year which is pretty weird that they're all in the same conference.  As much as we can all complain that the program got stale after the 05-06 season, at least he didn't jump ship like the two previous coaches did.  He did have the opportunity after the 05 run and people were nervous that he would, but he stuck around out of loyalty to the program.  He at least earns that respect.