Henry looking for fresh start

Henry looking for fresh start

Since his absence from the Illinois team banquet, Myke Henry's status with the program has remained a mystery. On Thursday, one of Henry's former high school coaches said the 6-foot-6 forward is looking for a fresh start.

"He just decided that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else and decided he didn't want to go back," said Phil Gipson, an assistant coach at Chicago Orr with whom Henry has a close relationship. "Illinois, that's a great coaching staff and he loved the coaching staff, but sometimes to get yourself going you need a new environment."

The forward, an academic All-Big Ten pick, appeared in 35 games this past season as a sophomore, playing 10.6 minutes and averaging 2.1 rebounds and 3.2 points for John Groce. As a freshman, Henry played in 22 games averaging 8.1 minutes, 3.2 points and 1.1 rebounds.

Gipson said they're hoping Henry will receive his release from Illinois within the next week and they'll begin the process of finding his next destination.

"We don't know yet where he might end up," Gipson said of Henry who is back home in Chicago working out. "We're just waiting to evaluate things and figure out what's best for him. I talked to Coach (Dustin) Ford a lot; he's been real helpful and understands the situation. They're helping a lot because they care about him."

Henry is the fourth member of Illinois' 2011 recruiting class to leave the program this offseason.

Mike Shaw, Devin Langford and Ibby Djimde  announced they were leaving the program five days after Illinois' season ended March 24 with an NCAA tournament loss to Miami.

Of Bruce Weber's last recruiting class at Illinois, only juniors-to-be Tracy Abrams and Nnanna Egwu remain with the program.

With Henry's departure, Illinois has one scholarship remaining for the 2013-14 season. One candidate is Oregon State transfer Ahmad Starks, who visited earlier this month but has yet to make a decision.

Comments

jackwilson wrote on May 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Seems obvious that Starks has not made a decision because up until now, there is no scholarship for him. Once Henry's transfer is adminstratively official, Starks will probably "commit" soon thereafter.

OKOMIS wrote on May 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I don’t know… I’d bet everyone  is waiting to see if the NCAA lets him play 2013-2014.. if he has to sit and wait till 14-15, we probably aren’t interested.

jackwilson wrote on May 24, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I believe a team must request the waiver for him. Since he left Oregon State, he has no team that can do such. So I think he must enroll in a university first, then have that team submit the hardship waiver and then wait.

crackerman wrote on May 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm

This is hard to understand! Am I missing something here? Did'nt Henry figure in as a starter next year? Is there a disconnect between coach & player? I keep hearing rumors he was dogged on account of his defense. I find this kinda strange.

Moonpie wrote on May 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm

crackerman, you won't get answers from the Sleepy Gazoo, which finds that actual reporting cuts into ego time at the Esquire.

optimator wrote on May 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

another gratuitously stupid comment by cowpie

marcus jackson wrote this article.

epic reading comprehension fail

BaytownILLINI wrote on May 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Moonpie, Mam you sound very unhappy with every single post you make like somebody kicked your dog.  Cheer up!!!  Life is too short.  Keep a positive attitude and look for the good in folks and not the bad.  I'm sure your a nice lady but your posts bring the mood of everyone down.  If your so down on the News Gazette and Loren Tate why do you spend so much time on their website???  Find a different Illinois website that makes you happier.  I hope your not like this in real life.  There is so much to be thankful for.

peterborich wrote on May 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Duh.. This would not have happened if Bruce Weber were still the coach and duh, Ron Zook would have had us in the Rose Bowl last year ... Duh, I'm the typical whiny IlliniHQ blogger.. Duh...

CecilColeman wrote on May 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hard to understand??  Henry contributed N O T H I N G over two years and this was not going to change. I wish him well but let's see if he moves to Kansas State............or S M U...........or Northern...........

uswtmb47 wrote on May 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Poor Weber, I've never seen so many 3,4, and 5 star recruits have such disappointing careers at Illinois, or anywhere, and had to transfer.  That list includes, Alexander, J. Smith, Carlwell, Simpson, C. Head, Djime, Langford, Legion, Richmond, Shaw, and now Henry, please let me now if I missed anyone.  I'm sure our luck will change under Groce.

CecilColeman wrote on May 25, 2013 at 1:05 pm

You missed Jordan.........and now Orris has left Kansas State!!  The (Weber) beat goes on..........