Quentin Snider commits to Illini

Quentin Snider commits to Illini

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —  Another week, another top-50 recruit giving Illinois and John Groce a verbal commitment.

Less than two weeks after Memphis (Tenn.) White Station forward Leron Black pledged his allegiance to the Illini during his official visit to campus, Louisville (Ky.) Ballard point guard Quentin Snider announced his commitment at his high school gym on Thursday night. The 6-foot point guard, a four-star recruit rated 31st by Scout, 28th by ESPN and 31st by Rivals, picked Illinois after taking an official visit to UCLA earlier in the month. Snider visited Illinois last weekend and received a home visit from Groce and Illinois assistant Dustin Ford on Monday.

UCLA's Steve Alford visited the Snider home Tuesday. Snider was scheduled to make a trip to Michigan State this weekend and UConn later this month.

"When I went to UCLA, it was a beautiful campus, real nice. To be honest, right when I got off the UCLA visit, I wanted to commit," Snider said. "But I wanted to take another visit and Illinois, it just seemed perfect for me."

USC, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State were also listed among the final seven schools Snider was considering since he decommitted from Louisville in July.

Snider, who originally made a commitment to Louisville in the summer of 2011, becomes the third member of Illinois’ 2014 recruiting class, joining Black and Centennial forward Michael Finke.

Snider visited Illinois last weekend and received a home visit from Groce and Illinois assistant coach Dustin Ford on Monday.

"What I like about Illinois is Coach Groce, he's a real good guy. When I talk to him, he seems real trustworthy," Snider said. "When I talk to the players about him, they say everything he says is true. He's a good man, a good family man and that's why I'm going to go there."

Comments

ERE wrote on September 13, 2013 at 8:09 am

Heck Yes!! Finally we are headed back to glory...

I cannot thank the 2012-2013 team enough for fighting so hard and making us contenders again with their CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP attitude! You guys are my favorite Illini squad of all time and look what you've led too.... Sure, there are other Illini teams with better records or tournament records, but you had the biggest HEART.

JimOATSfan wrote on September 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Excellent news ... welcome to Illini Nation Quentin!  I agree, last years team incrementally got better, focused intently and gave everything they had in the games by the end of the season. So easy to root for them. That makes them my fav Illini bball team of all time too. Thanks guys - team and staff!  Go Illini!

jjohnson wrote on September 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Love the previous comment, and delighted for Coach Groce and the program.

Mikeydamouth wrote on September 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I agree with ERE. AD Thomas needs to get a signed blank check payable to John Groce real soon.

jruss62 wrote on September 12, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Now if we can get the big man from up north. (And we all know who that is)

congaulation to coach gross and staff, Hugh get.

Mr. Thomas get out your check book.

mrseeu2 wrote on September 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you Quentin.  Welcome to Champaign. Welcome to the University Of Illinois.  Welcome, you're at Home.  We wanted you and Leron so extremely bad to come here.  You have made our day.  You have made our team.  We love you before you even play a single game. I am psyched. Coach Groce, you the man!!

aaeismacgychel wrote on September 13, 2013 at 11:09 am

Wow. What a week for Groce and his staff- 2 Top 50s , both rated as high 4 stars and players who certainly were holes in our roster as we definitely needed a quality power forward and a point guard. While one never wants to put too much value in high school recruiting rankings, it is hard not to feel optimistic about these upcoming years. What a phenomenal job by the coaching staff, and I am thrilled to see both Black and Snider wearing the orange and blue in 2 years. Here's wishing both players the absolute best of luck and thank you for committing to Illinois!

I-L-L!

ERE wrote on September 13, 2013 at 11:09 am

I would just say that Coach Groce must be making, what nearly 1.5 million a year? I doubt that 3 million a year would make him any happier overall. I've met Bill Self a couple times and I'd sure give Coach Groce the nod on happiness.

Great fans, a sold out beatiful State Farm Center, Orange Crush that is crazier than ever, the more important rewards of seeing his work develop these young recruits not just as players but great human beings who confidently meet their challenges head-on...that's what is going to keep him here over more money. He is a Tony Dungy-ish coach. Was not surprised at all to hear him quote Dungy last week in the SEAL interview.

Clearly this is a coach who puts a premium on developing individuals and teamwork. Of course, we still will have big Illini disappointments and close losses in the future, but heck but I am confident of a culture of Illini resiliency and toughness as well that is just going to be so awesome to be a part of--ILLINI!