Who ya mad at most?

A lot of us are in a bad mood today. On a scale of 1-10, here are the main culprits for why we’re feeling blue.

1. Cliff Alexander

It’s bad enough he teased us for months on end. But did he really have to reach for the Illinois hat?

2. Quentin Snider

What in the name of Eric Gordon was he thinking?

3. Rick Pitino

Welcome to Bruce Pearl’s neighborhood.

4. Bill Self

He just keeps piling it on.

5. Twitter

He’s coming, he’s going, he’s coming, he’s going, he’s coming. No ... really, he’s coming.

6. ESPNU

Should have known something bad was going to happen when BTN didn’t televise it.

7. Jerrance Howard

OK, Snacks, you’re paying for your meals next time you’re in town.

8. David Stern

Without your silly one year in college rule, none of this would have happened.

9. Chicago

As Loren Tate always says, it’s a different state than Illinois.

10. Cliff’s girlfriend

We’re sure she’s a nice lady, but why couldn’t she have stayed in state for college?

Comments

OldIlliniFan wrote on November 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Not mad at all.  The University of Illinois is a top-ranked university that honors it's graduates, professors and Nobel Prize winners above all.  By all accounts Cliff Alexander is a one-and-done guy who first and foremost honors Cliff Alexander.  It is not clear what he would have contributed overall to the academic community, except for achieving passing grades in his first semester. As for his contribution to his basketball teammates, he would soon be a distant memory with next-to-zero chance of having his shirt hanging from the Assembly Hall -- sorry, State Farm Center -- rafters.  Our AD is on record as not approving of the one-and-done situation, and the sooner that is fixed the better. So let's move on.

tulsaillini wrote on November 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Well said, OldIlliniFan.  Obviously these are two really good players, but not a whole lot of class.   JG is a classy coach and will do well with similar players.

evenolderillinifan wrote on November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Almost 70 years ago, I won a Chicago radio station contest with this (now prescient) riddle: When is a cliff not a cliff? Answer: When it's a bluff. Now I discover a cliff also may be a punk.

Green Shirt wrote on November 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm

It turns out that John Groce can count.  Now we don't need anyone to transfer or pay their own way next year in order to meet the 13 scholarship limit.

Mikeydamouth wrote on November 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Mad? For what? For one thing, Snider is no loss. We have plenty of good point guards in our friends Mr. Abrams,  Tate and Starks. And before its all said and done, J. Tate will be the man. Snider wouldn't have seen that much action anyway like he is not going to see any at Louisville. Thanks Rick for savig us a scholly.

For another thing, raise your right hand if you actually thought Cliff Alexander would go to Illinios. I see a lot hands up, then dropping when 2nd thinking rules the common sense portion of the brain. See ya Cliff, see ya Q man. Good luck, you will need it.

illini82 wrote on November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I noticed that Bruce Weber and Guenther weren't on the list.

They should be.  As #1 and #2.

IlliniHimey wrote on November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

As for Self, I just pray he lands more Diverticulitis attacks.  If I knew where he lived, I would send him 50 pounds of beef jerky and strawberries.

Illini63 wrote on November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

While I'm sure both Alexander and Snider deserve their rankings, I don't feel any real regret that they will not attend Illinois.  I would leave it to the Kansases, Kentuckys and similar to pick up the one and out prospects.  For my money, I prefer having some very good (if not top 20) players who will be committed to the team rather than simply playing out their one year.  Coach Groce is doing an excellent job and should not feel downcast about today's decisions.

blmillini wrote on November 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Nobody.  High School kids make their choices for their own reasons.

Quentin probably had a really rough time with the decision to pull out and remain close to home.  But you certainly can't blame him for making that choice.

Cliff made a fairly classless move in his press conference and really did not show very well but he is a young kid.  I don't think you can blame him for making his choice.  He almost surely and one and done player, unless he stinks it up next year, and if in that same situation you would think that many kids would make a similar decision.  Kansas offers something that Illinois can't right now and that is immediate success at the highest level.

I have every confidence in John Groce and his ability to eventually get great players to come to Illinois.  In the meantime, he will continue to grow the product that is Illinois basketball.  We are in good hands.  It takes time to take a program from the depths of Weberball to a premier program but Coach Groce IS going to make it happen without the two guys that turned us down today.

ChiefIlliniFan wrote on November 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Am not mad at all, for myself at least am glad they did not come here and now is the time to know what type of people they are so we waste no time on them.

I do think the one year rule is stupid and should be at least 2 years for a lot of reasons.

The future of Illini Basketball is insanely bright, thanks Coach Groce for making it that way.

aaeismacgychel wrote on November 16, 2013 at 12:11 am

I'll start out by saying I have absolutely no hard feelings for Quentin Snider.  He in my opinion is one of the few in the current recruiting landscape who decommitted for the right reasons.  Louisville is his hometown team and was his #1 choice.  When Louisville chose Lyle to basically be their starting PG over him, he decommitted and went to his 2nd choice in Illinois.  When Lyle decommitted and there was once again an opening at starting PG there, Snider went back.  You really can't blame him for that.  He went with his heart and I'm sure it hurt his heart far more having to decommit from Louisville the first time than how we feel him decommitting to go back there.  I think most of us would have done the same when we chose a college.  If our top choice in college waitlisted us, we would've accepted our 2nd choice.  But if that top college then sent us a letter we were accepted, I think we'd back out of our 2nd choice and go to our dream school.  That's life.  Really, Lyle screwed us over a bit more in that regard than Snider.  I really do wish him the best of luck and hope he's successful there.  As for Cliff, I'm not surprised or upset with his decision.  Granted, I really do not like Kansas or Self for that matter but you must follow your heart and choose the college that is best for you.  If that school is Kansas then so be it.  I will admit though that I was extremely disappointed and in fact downright upset by the stunt he did with the hat.  Considering Illinois is a school who did really want him on the team and he expressed similar interest, I thought it was completely immature and classless what he did.  There was no reason for it whatsoever and I certainly thought he made a complete arse out of himself.  But even more than that, I was appalled by the three-ring circus of these hat selection press conferences.  The National Media, ESPN, the NCAA, the kids' parents, coaches, and high schools should be ashamed.  What does things like this teach other students?  That athletics is far more important than academics?  That it is okay for media to start arriving at 10am on a weekday at a high school on a school day to set up for a conference?  That interrupting kids' education for this is okay?  That minors who aren't even mature enough to handle a choice like this with dignity and class should be given this publicity and national stage?  That a kid immensely talented physically but struggling to qualify at the most basic of levels academically should get this coverage while honor roll students, valedictorians, or even student volunteers/humanitarians don't?  I was sickened and highly disturbed by this whole thing.  I would be more than fine never seeing one of these hat ceremonies occur again.  Anyways, those are my thoughts.  Take it or leave it.

Bear8287 wrote on November 16, 2013 at 1:11 am

As a wise old muppet once said, "Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Don't we really already have enough suffering around here (well at least after the OSU game anyway.)  :-)

I'm quite proud of the mature responses of my fellow Illini fans on this thread.

We are talking about teenage kids.  Cliff just turned 18?

We've got a good bunch of recruits that *want* to be Illini and under Coach Groce we're seeing plenty of fight from our team.  Better days are on the horizon...

ChiefForever wrote on November 16, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Forget about Cliff Alexander.  What about all the Illinois citizens there cheering him for choosing Kansas over Illinois?  Disgusting.  They should have been booing.