2018 N-G All-Area softball | Meet the first team

2018 N-G All-Area softball | Meet the first team

Reagan Cheely

Villa Grove, So., P/SS

Why she made it: A .500 hitter for a 26-8 program that started eight underclassmen, Cheely hit five home runs, posted 38 RBI and 17 stolen bases en route to a second straight first-team All-Area selection, and led the program with a 2.79 ERA in the circle.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Post Malone. ... Before I compete, I eat peanut M&Ms. ... In my dream career, I would be a head coach for a Division I softball team. ... My favorite subject to study in school is lunch. ... My favorite athlete is Jose Altuve. ... My favorite TV show is "Law and Order." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Donald Trump, Kris Bryant and Javier Baez.

Three items on my bucket list: Attend the College World Series, visit all 50 states and skydive.

Becca Clanton

Fisher, Sr., C

Why she made it: A major power source for the Bunnies, Clanton batted .464 with 15 home runs and 59 RBI. Those power numbers rated second and third, respectively, among local athletes. Clanton additionally called pitches for another All-Area athlete in Sydney Eichelberger.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see The 1975. ... Before I compete, I eat Goldfish. ... In my dream career, I would be working in a publishing firm in New York. ... My favorite subject to study in school is English. ... My favorite TV show is "American Horror Story." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Ella Fitzgerald, my grandparents and Matthew Healy.

An item on my bucket list: Travel to Scotland.

Bailey Dowling

St. Joseph-Ogden, So., SS

Why she made it: Our repeat Player of the Year hit a local-best 21 home runs to go with an area-leading 68 RBI and finished second among locals with a .657 batting average for a Class 2A sectional champion.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Florida Georgia Line. ... Before I compete, I eat muffins. ... In my dream career, I would give lessons to girls to help them learn the game of softball. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Haylie McCleney. ... My favorite TV show is "One Tree Hill." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Kris Bryant, Dansby Swanson and my grandpa.

Three items on my bucket list: Be able to learn how to slap like Kenzie Pence, learn to surf and swim with dolphins.

Hannah Dukeman

St. Joseph-Ogden, So., C

Why she made it: A repeat first-team All-Area honoree, Dukeman did a little bit of everything at the dish for a squad that finished 32-4, hitting .468 with five home runs, 50 RBI and 17 stolen bases.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Thomas Rhett. ... Before I compete, I eat bananas. ... In my dream career, I would be a pediatric surgeon. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Yadier Molina. ... My favorite TV show is "Grey's Anatomy." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick my great-grandpa, Steph Curry and Drake.

Three items on my bucket list: Skydive, go on a cruise to the Bahamas and go to the Dominican Republic.

Madi Eberle

GCMS, So., P/3B

Why she made it: One of the Heart of Illinois Conference's best dual-threat players, Eberle tossed an area-best 302 strikeouts and compiled a 1.62 ERA in nearly 160 innings to go with 16 pitching victories, while also hitting .462 with five home runs.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Post Malone. ... Before I compete, I eat peanut butter. ... In my dream career, I would be an elementary school teacher. ... My favorite subject to study in school is art. ... My favorite athlete is LeBron James. ... My favorite TV show is "One Tree Hill." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Beyonce, Post Malone and Channing Tatum.

Three items on my bucket list: Jump off a plane, scuba dive and travel to all 50 states.

Sydney Eichelberger

Fisher, Jr., P

Why she made it: Among the area's busiest hurlers, Eichelberger, a repeat first-team All-Area pick, permitted a 2.30 ERA in 155 frames of work while ranking second locally in pitching wins (20) and third in punchouts (168).

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Cardi B. ... Before I compete, I eat a Nature Valley peanut butter bar. ... In my dream career, I would work at SeaWorld with the dolphins. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Rachel Garcia. ... My favorite TV show is "Riverdale." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Sierra Romero, Zac Efron and Cole Sprouse.

Three items on my bucket list: Go to the Women's College World Series, swim with dolphins and go to Sydney, Australia.

Emmy Graver

St. Joseph-Ogden, Sr., 3B

Why she made it: Another of the Spartans' consistent offensive threats, the Illinois State signee swung for a .530 batting average with 45 RBI while also swiping 11 bags.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Drake. ... Before I compete, I eat goldfish or Cheez-Its. ... In my dream career, I would make a lot of money. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Serena Williams. ... My favorite TV show is "The 100." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Jesus, Drake and Oprah Winfrey.

Three items on my bucket list: Skydiving, learn how to surf and scuba diving.

Jordan Jones

Salt Fork, Jr., P/1B/3B

Why she made it: A critical presence in the circle for a 23-6 club, Jones rated fourth locally with a 2.04 ERA while collecting 12 pitching wins and 52 strikeouts. She also hit .396 with 23 RBI.

A few of my favorites: Before I compete, I eat a Nature Valley granola bar. ... In my dream career, I would be a physical therapist. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Cat Osterman. ... My favorite TV show is "Fixer Upper." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick my grandparents, Ozzie Smith and Joanna Gaines.

Three items on my bucket list: Play a paintball game, go snow skiing in Colorado and play in the College World Series.

Elyce Knudsen

Unity, So., SS

Why she made it: One of the area's leading hitters all season, Knudsen proved a major threat for the Rockets by hitting .636 with a quartet of homers and 23 RBI.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Bryson Tiller. ... Before I compete, I eat an Uncrustable. ... In my dream career, I would be an accountant. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Derek Jeter. ... My favorite TV show is "Friends." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Derek Jeter, Whitney Houston and Jennifer Aniston.

Three items on my bucket list: Go to Yankee Stadium, skydiving and go to San Francisco.

Camilyn Newbanks

Argenta-Oreana, Jr., C

Why she made it: One of the unquestioned leaders for the Class 1A third-place program, Newbanks tabbed an area-best .670 batting average to go with five home runs and 55 RBI. She also managed a potent pitching staff that included younger sister Cassi.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Post Malone. ... Before I compete, I eat blueberries. ... In my dream career, I would build space shuttles. ... My favorite subject to study in school is science. ... My favorite athlete is LeBron James. ... My favorite TV show is "Riverdale." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Jennie Finch.

Three items on my bucket list: Travel to London, travel to Italy and watch a space launch in person.

Kenzie Pence

St. Joseph-Ogden, Sr., OF

Why she made it: When she wasn't tracking down most everything that came her way in center field, the Illinois State signee was hitting .559 with an area-leading 62 stolen bases as well as 13 RBI.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Thomas Rhett and Kenny Chesney. ... Before I compete, I eat an apple. ... In my dream career, I would be a photographer. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Anthony Rizzo. ... My favorite TV show is "The Office." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick my grandparents, my new cousin Mica and John F. Kennedy.

Three items on my bucket list: Go to Greece and Italy, hit a ball harder than Bailey Dowling and play in the Women's College World Series.

Isabelle Shelmadine

Tuscola, Sr., 2B

Why she made it: Another even .500 slugger, this time for a 29-8 Class 2A regional titlist, Shelmadine also swiped 29 bags while smashing six home runs and driving in 38.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see The Chainsmokers. ... Before I compete, I eat pickles. ... In my dream career, I would be a surgical technician. ... My favorite subject to study in school is English. ... My favorite athlete is Dalton Hoel. ... My favorite TV show is "Fixer Uppers." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick my mom, my dad and my sister.

Two items on my bucket list: Travel around the world and skydive.

Aubrie Shore

Mahomet-Seymour, Fr., P

Why she made it: Shore proved imposing to the Bulldogs' foes even in her first prep season, in which M-S won a Class 3A regional crown. The freshman hit .457 with 12 homers and 45 RBI, also contributing nine wins and 110 punchouts in the circle.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Post Malone. ... Before I compete, I eat pineapple. ... In my dream career, I would be a chiropractor. ... My favorite subject to study in school is English. ... My favorite athlete is Javier Baez. ... My favorite TV show is "SpongeBob SquarePants." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Babe Ruth, Beyonce and Peyton Manning.

Three items on my bucket list: Go to Australia, become fluent in Spanish and be in the Olympics.

Ashton Smith

Tuscola, Jr., P

Why she made it: Smith keyed the Warriors pitching staff with 16 triumphs on top of 105 strikeouts and a 2.05 ERA in more than 140 innings. She also added 16 RBI as a hitter.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Shawn Mendes. ... Before I compete, I eat a protein bar. ... In my dream career, I would design book covers. ... My favorite subject to study in school is art. ... My favorite athlete is Mikey Dudek. ... My favorite TV show is "Sherlock." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick JK Rowling, Oprah Winfrey and my grandpa, "Papa Dean."

Three items on my bucket list: Travel Europe, run a marathon and write a book.

Kelly Smith

LeRoy, Sr., 3B

Why she made it: Her home run power was evident in 2018, as she slugged 11 of them while ranking second locally with 62 RBI and fourth in the area with a .629 batting average for a 21-12 club.

A few of my favorites: I need concert tickets to see Jason Aldean. ... Before I compete, I eat a protein bar. ... In my dream career, I would be a physical therapist. ... My favorite subject to study in school is math. ... My favorite athlete is Kris Bryant. ... My favorite TV show is "Criminal Minds." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez.

Three items on my bucket list: Graduate from college, travel the world and ziplining.

-