2018 boys' track and field Coach of the Year: Todd Lafond

2018 boys' track and field Coach of the Year: Todd Lafond

Coach of the Year: Mahomet-Seymour's Todd Lafond

Why he's Coach of the Year: Lafond paced a group of six individuals in seven events to the Class 2A state meet, where senior Callan Whitehouse (pole vault) and sophomore Hunter Hendershot (discus) won state titles. The Bulldogs ultimately compiled 40 points to place runner-up in the 2A team hunt, earning M-S boys' track its first state trophy since 1992.

Season highlights: "Winning back-to-back sectional championships was pretty cool. But obviously getting the second-place trophy at the state meet kind of trumped everything."

A few of my favorites: A sporting event I need tickets to see is the Cubs in a World Series Game 7, this time in Wrigley. I don't care the opponent, just as long as they win. ... If I wasn't a coach, I'd be pastoring churches that are about to close, try to revitalize them and then hand them off to somebody else, and substitute teaching. ... My favorite go-to motivational tactic is reading. I've always enjoyed reading leadership stuff. Just things that personally motivate me ... and when I get a chance to spend time with kids and encourage kids to do better, that's pretty good for me. ... My favorite subject to study in school was history. I've always liked history, in high school as well as college. ... My favorite athletes are Michael Jordan, Ryne Sandberg, Ernie Banks and Fergie Jenkins. Those would be in the top. ... A movie I have to see is "War for the Planet of the Apes." I don't know that I would have to — if I didn't see it my life wouldn't be terrible. ... My favorite TV show is "24." I'm a big Kiefer Sutherland fan and a fan of that genre. ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Abraham Lincoln, Jackie Robinson and Walter Payton.

What I enjoy most about coaching: "Definitely the kids. Sure, they get on my nerves and I get on their nerves sometimes, but I enjoy trying to motivate them, trying to make them better. I try different tactics with different kids. Just trying to help kids get better and achieve something. I feel pretty good that we've had so many guys that have gone on or are going on to compete collegiately. That's a big deal for me."

HONOR ROLL: NEWS-GAZETTE BOYS’ TRACK AND FIELD COACHES OF THE YEAR
YEAR    COACH    SCHOOL

2018    Todd Lafond    Mahomet-Seymour
2017    Todd Lafond    Mahomet-Seymour
2016    Tim Gateley    Unity
2015    Tim Gateley    Unity
2014    Ryan Hornaday    Tuscola
2013    Nic Haab    St. Joseph-Ogden
2012    Jeff Butler    Monticello

-