2018 N-G boys' tennis Coach of the Year: Uni High's David Bergandine

2018 N-G boys' tennis Coach of the Year: Uni High's David Bergandine

Coach of the Year | Uni High's David Bergandine

Why he's Coach of the Year: Bergandine's Illineks captured their first-ever sectional championship while sending more than one entry to the state meet for the first time. Freshman Zach Donnini qualified in singles, and the doubles pairings of senior Van Gundersen/junior Sam Li and junior Krishna Subbiah/junior Arjun Tangella also found a home at the Class 1A state tournament.

Season highlights: "We had a chance to play some really top talent from the Chicago area this year, and it was great to have the University of Chicago lab school down. We hung with them. We played IMSA (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy) and we were able to take them on. It was fun to have those kind of competitions where people came down to see us. They're always impressed to play at the Atkins facility where Illinois plays. I think it's fun to get lab schools out together."

A few of my favorites: Events I need tickets to see are the solo debut of James Vaughen at Carnegie Hall, and the 2020 Olympics to see Ema Rajic swim and Arielle Summitt run. ... If I wasn't a coach, I would repair, recondition, remodel, renovate or rebuild everything around my home. ... My favorite go-to motivational tactic is helping the players realize that self-motivation will take them to the top. ... My favorite subject to study in school was language and literature. ... My favorite athletes are Edo Roth and Alex Mestre. ... A movie I have to see is "A Confederacy of Dunces" (if it is ever produced). ... My favorite TV show is "This Old House." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Soren Kierkegaard and Blaise Pascal.

What I enjoy most about coaching: "Seeing the players learning from each other."

Honor Roll: News-Gazette boys' tennis Coaches of the Year

YEAR NAME SCHOOL

2018 David Bergandine Uni High

2017 Teri Scaggs Centennial

2016 Matthew Avery Urbana

2015 Teri Scaggs Centennial

2014 Scott Davis Champaign Central

2013 Scott Davis Champaign Central

2012 Scott Davis Champaign Central