2018 N-G boys' soccer Coach of the Year: Champaign Central's Nick Clegg

2018 N-G boys' soccer Coach of the Year: Champaign Central's Nick Clegg

Coach of the Year: Champaign Central's Nick Clegg

Why he's Coach of the Year: In his second season running the Maroons, Clegg oversaw the program's first regional championship since 2007. Central's 21-5 ledger left it one victory short of a Class 2A sectional crown, as the Maroons also boast Player of the Year Santiago Rodriguez.

Season highlights: "Game 1, West Aurora. Bigger school, very confident coach before the game, talking about they returned everyone. Very good team, very successful. And our boys came out of the gate and had a victory against them. Also winning regionals. Very fun to see hard work pay off for the guys."

A few of my favorite: My favorite food is carne asada tacos. There's a couple food trucks I go to. I like Fernando's and Moe's. ... My first car was a 1995 navy blue Nissan Altima. It had one of those bras on the front to cover up the scratches. Used to drive it to this school. ... My favorite non-sports hobby is hanging out with my nephews, hanging out with family. ... My dream vacation destinations are New Zealand and Australia. ... My favorite sporting event I've attended live is a Gold Cup final where USA won in Solider Field against Panama. ... My favorite professional/college sports teams are the Minnesota Vikings and Illinois basketball. ... My favorite musical genre is '90s R&B. I got Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It" on the team practice playlist.

N-G boys' soccer Coaches of the Year

YEAR COACH SCHOOL

2018 Nick Clegg, Champaign Central

2017 Randy Blackman, Urbana

2016 Randy Blackman, Urbana

2015 Phil Anders, Uni High

2014 Marty Price, Blue Ridge

2013 John Klaber, Hoopeston Area

2012 Randy Blackman, Urbana

2011 Phil Anders, Uni High

Three items on my bucket list: Travel to Ireland, start and raise a family and marry my beautiful fiance.

What I enjoy most about coaching: "Just seeing the kids grow. Seeing confidence rise is the best as the kids realize their improvements. The connection to the hard work and results is my favorite part."

-