2018 N-G volleyball Coach of the Year: St. Thomas More's Stan Bergman

2018 N-G volleyball Coach of the Year: St. Thomas More's Stan Bergman

Coach of the Year: St. Thomas More's Stan Bergman

Why he's Coach of the Year: Bergman brought his Sabers back to the Class 2A state semifinals, and while STM couldn't pull a repeat of a state title, it still placed third, finished with a 37-5 record and suited up Player of the Year Allie Trame.

Season highlights: "Winning the Morgan Buerkett (Tournament) was a big deal for us. Making it back to state was a huge team dream that we had. Just being there last year, losing some key players from last year. Our team bonding trip that we went on was another key, fun moment for everyone. Probably winning the sectional, too. With the St. Joseph-Ogden match, sometimes it's physical from both sides, but with St. Joe and here, I just remember the days of Centennial and Central and it's more mental."

A few of my favorites: A sporting event I need tickets to see is a Dallas/Indianapolis football game or the Australian Open. ... If I wasn't a coach, I would be a taxi driver. I have two boys that are constantly on the go between travel baseball, travel soccer, travel swim. ... My favorite go-to motivational tactic is music. I find myself listening to a little bit of music to get that little edge going. ... My favorite subject to study when I was in school was the only one I really got straight-As all the way through: it's human anatomy. But I guess we could say biology because I did really well through that. ... My favorite athlete is Roger Federer. ... A movie I have to see is the next "Captain America" one. ... My favorite TV show is either "American Pickers" or "The Office." ... If I could have dinner with any three people from any time period, I would pick Elton John, Ronald Reagan and Aerosmith (the whole group).

What I enjoy most about coaching: "Watching the positive impact of what we're trying to teach off the court more than on the court. Especially being here at St. Thomas More really allows us to talk gospel. It allows us to talk and preach His word through our sport, and I find that's probably the biggest and most important thing I get out of this."

News-Gazette volleyball Coaches of the Year

YEAR COACH SCHOOL

2018 Stan Bergman St. Thomas More

2017 Stan Bergman St. Thomas More

2016 Abby McDonald St. Joseph-Ogden

2015 Josh Landon Cissna Park

2014 Josh Landon Cissna Park

2013 Abby McDonald St. Joseph-Ogden

2012 Stan Bergman Centennial

2011 Stan Bergman Centennial

-