Saturday highlights: Fisher volleyball claims crown
– Watseka finished third and Danville fourth in the Watseka Invitational. JESSICA ALLHANDS and KATHERINE GRIMES represented the Warriors on the all-tournament team after they defeated the Vikings 22-25, 25-19, 25-22 in the third-place match behind Allhands' 15 kills. Danville placed MICHALEEN FORMAN on the 12-player squad. JENNA ZOLLER (Hoopeston Area) and MARY DELANEY (Armstrong-Potomac) also were picked.
– Buckley Christ Lutheran finished 14th in the 16-team Reed-Custer Invitational.
– Fisher defeated Casey-Westfield 25-16, 25-19 to capture the Arcola tournament. Central A&M topped Tri-County 25-17, 25-20 in the third-place match. Arthur beat Arcola 25-22, 25-18 for seventh place.
– Schlarman finished 3-0 in its Hilltop tournament, dispatching Villa Grove (25-9, 25-15), Chrisman (25-17, 25-18) and Heritage (25-23, 25-15). SERENA CALHOUN had 23 kills and LYNZIE FIELDS added 18 digs for the Hilltoppers.
– Salt Fork swept the top four spots – led by medalist MAT BOWEN's 71 at Blue Needles – to capture its 10-team invitational by 50 strokes ahead of runner-up Tuscola. For the Storm, DAVID KEENAN shot 72, JORDAN DANZL 74 and RYAN ANDERSON 76.
– Mahomet-Seymour's ADAM GUTH shot 72 to finish fifth in the Bloomington Central Catholic Invitational. The Bulldogs were second, 5 shots behind Normal U-High.
– MATT ZUCKERMAN and BRIAN LINSNER each scored twice as Judah Christian (5-5-1) rolled past Normal Calvary 7-0. Keeper CHRIS HUGGETT posted his fourth straight shutout.
– ROMAN TAPIA scored from WESTON DePRATT to lift Danville (8-4-1) past Charleston 1-0. Danville outshot the Trojans 15-4.
– JACOB HANSELMAN's hat trick propelled Monticello (9-3-1) to a 7-0 victory against Decatur St. Teresa in the third-place match of the Okaw Valley Conference tournament in Decatur.
– Urbana improved to 10-2 (5-0 in Big 12) with an 8-0 victory against Mattoon.
ADAM BLACKMAN had three goals and JONATHAN LUKUSA a pair.
"Sometimes we take a step forward and sometimes we take a step back," Urbana coach RANDY BLACKMAN said. "We are getting better, a little deeper in players to go to."
– LONNIE BARNES had two goals and two assists to lead Centennial's 6-1 victory against Bloomington Central Catholic. JOHN MUWANA had a goal and two assists.
– MARIA MEARS and ALLISON HANSEN placed second in No. 1 doubles as Centennial finished fifth in the Chargers' Doubles tournament.
– BRITTANY BOHN was fourth and TESSA HANLON fifth as Mahomet-Seymour took third in the East Peoria Invitational. Urbana's MEGHAN HOUK was sixth.
– AUDREY WHITE was 29th for Centennial in the Springfield Invitational.
The Chargers were eighth in the 15-team event.
– Urbana's GABI RAJIC won the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle events at the 15-team Bloomington Invitational. JENNY HILL of Urbana won the 200 individual medley and Centennial's AUDREY RODAWIG captured the 100 butterfly. Champaign Central had no event champions but used its depth to finish third in the team standings behind Normal U-High and Normal Community.