Thursday's prep highlights: Sabers win tourney title
– St. Thomas More clinched the title of the Sangamon Valley Conference tournament with a lightning-halted 3-0 victory against Clifton Central on Thursday at Gilman.
The officials declared the match final at the 27:01 mark in the second half. STM finished the tournament with a 4-0 record and 24 points. St. Joseph-Ogden, which has one tournament match left, is second with 13 points and cannot catch the Sabers.
JOHN TABB had two goals and an assist for STM (6-0-0), while CHARLIE DeBRUYN also scored.
Earlier Thursday, SJ-O edged Iroquois West 1-0 at Gilman.
– KEGAN DECKER scored a goal and assisted on another to lead visiting Oakwood (5-1-1) to a 4-0 victory against Danville First Baptist.
– J.J. MALONE scored an unassisted goal in the second half and JOSH PLUNK made three saves for Blue Ridge in a 1-0 home win against Unity.
– DAKOTA COPELAND and DIEGO GARCIA scored for Watseka in a 2-1 road victory against Heyworth that was ended midway through the second half by lightning. ZACH HAYES had six saves for the Warriors, while JED HASSELBRING assisted on Copeland's goal.
– Urbana improved to 6-0 with a 25-18, 25-21 victory against visiting Rantoul behind ERICKA DIX's five kills and JENNY SRIKANT's two service aces. TINA AGUIRRE had six aces, eight digs and four kills for the Eagles.
– Indiana commitment MORGAN LEACH had six kills, leading Centennial to a 25-16, 25-7 victory at Peoria Richwoods. LAUREN CLOYD added five blocks for the Chargers (2-1).
– EMILY HUFFORD had 12 blocks and Samantha Siddens added nine kills and four service aces, rallying Bismarck-Henning to a 22-25, 25-22, 25-11 victory against visiting Danville. LAUREN McKENZIE contributed 16 assists and five aces to the win. SHAWNEIS JONES led the Vikings with 12 kills, while JORDAN McCOY added 13 digs.
ALEXUS JIMSON-MILLER had nine digs for Danville.
– JORDYN NETTLETON had nine kills and three service aces, leading Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley to a 25-15, 25-20 victory against visiting Donovan. SYDNI MEUNIER contributed 12 digs to the win, while teammate ABBI WOOLUMS added 3.5 blocks.
– JENNI ROMACK propelled Bement to a 25-23, 25-20 victory at Cerro Gordo with 10 kills, five blocks and eight digs. HALEY WITTS had 11 kills for the Broncos.
– St. Joseph-Ogden defeated visiting Monticello 25-21, 25-17 behind AUDRA JAMES' six kills and four digs. JOSEY FRUHLING had four blocks for the Spartans (2-1). JULIE WALSH had seven kills and three digs for the Sages. KATHERINE EICKMEIER added four blocks and Kia Combes three service aces for Monticello.
– Salt Fork outbattled Schlarman 25-13, 21-25, 25-19 behind HEATHER BAKER's 18 kills and six blocks at the Topper Classic in Danville. MEGAN McCORD piled up 27 digs, nine kills and five service aces for the Storm. MADDIE STUTSMAN contributed 28 assists and four aces to the win. In its second match of the night, Salt Fork rolled to a 25-8, 25-12 victory against Paris. McCord had 11 digs and six aces, while Baker contributed 14 kills and four blocks, and Stutsman finished with 13 assists and five aces.
– MIKAYLA JONES had seven kills, three service aces and three blocks, leading DeLand-Weldon to a 25-21, 25-16 victory against visiting Argenta-Oreana. LIBBY NEATHERY led the Eagles in service aces with seven. WHITNEY HUPP led A-O with five kills.
– AMBER MEYER had 18 assists in Tri-County's 25-21, 25-12 victory at Hutsonville. KYLEE STINER and STEPHANIE WHITE had six and five kills, respectively, for T-C.
– KAITLYN ZELHART's 21 kills and four service aces lifted Blue Ridge past visiting Maroa-Forsyth 28-26, 25-20. Danielle Thompson had a double-double (12 assists, 10 digs) for the Knights.
– ALLISON WILSON and JESSICA SCHROEDER had three kills apiece for Iroquois West in a 25-13, 25-21 road loss to Ridgeview.
– Paxton-Buckley-Loda started strong but couldn't sustain that momentum in a 23-25, 25-18, 25-18 loss to host Tri-Valley.
– Urbana University High rallied past visiting Oakwood 21-25, 25-10, 25-16 behind EMMA HOYER's seven kills, four blocks and four service aces. HANNAH JOHLAS also had four aces for the Illineks, who received nine assists from JULIANA TRACH.
– DYLAN GREGER fired a 38 en route to medalist honors, leading host Villa Grove to a 14-shot victory in a three-team meet. Greger edged teammate BEN HARNED by 1 stroke.
– Medalist DAVID KEENAN shot a 36, leading Salt Fork to a 150-202 victory against Georgetown-Ridge Farm/Chrisman at Geneva Hills Golf Course in Clinton, Ind. The Storm had the top four scorers, including runner-up MAT BOWEN (37). CHAD GREENE shot a 43 and placed fifth for G-RF/C.
– MOLLY MARCUM of LeRoy finished third with a 46 – 2 strokes behind the medalist – in a 197-213 loss to Bloomington at Highland Park Golf Course in Bloomington.
– Led by winner MATT AVANETTI, Georgetown-Ridge Farm/Chrisman had five of the top six finishers in an 18-43 victory against Hoopeston Area in Rossville. Avanetti (18:56) finished 31 seconds in front of runner-up WYATT AVANETTI of the Buffaloes. Third-place JOSH JOHNSON (20:52) was HA's top runner.
– LAUREN HOUMES of Hoopeston Area finished first by more than 3 1/2 minutes in a meet in Rossville. The Cornjerkers were the only school of three represented to enter a full team. MEGAN McKEE of Georgetown-Ridge Farm/Chrisman placed second.
– ANNA RODGERS won at No. 5 singles and combined with MADELYN GUNN for a No. 3 doubles victory in Champaign Central's 5-3 loss to host Normal Community. The dual meet was ended by lightning during singles play, and players with the most games won were declared the winner of their matches.