Tuesday highlights: Soccer playoffs get going
– JOHN TABB had two goals and four assists for top-seeded St. Thomas More in an 8-1 victory against Georgetown-Ridge Farm at the Class 1A Schlarman Regional in Danville. ZACH SHIN scored three times and added an assist for the Sabers. RYAN HOWARD scored for G-RF.
– A hat trick by GEORGE VOULGARIS and two goals by Patrick Wong lifted Urbana University High to a 7-0 victory against Heyworth at Champaign in the Class 1A Warrensburg-Latham Regional. PAUL SEELEY had two assist for the Illineks (17-2-1).
– DREW SCHUMACHER scored four goals, including three in the first half, to lead Monticello to a 5-2 victory against Judah Christian in the Class 1A Warrensburg-Latham Regional. ELI SMITH had a goal and an assist for the Sages (13-6-1). MATT ZUCKERMANN tallied both of the Tribe's goals.
– ERIC WENZEL scored Unity's first goal and assisted on its second in a 5-2 loss to Warrensburg-Latham in the Class 1A Warrensburg-Latham Regional. PATRICK MANNON scored the Rockets' second goal.
– J.J. MALONE scored twice and JOE DENNO had four saves as Blue Ridge shut out Fisher 4-0 in the Class 1A Warrensburg-Latham Regional. TANNER TRENT contributed two assists to the win.
– Schlarman advanced to the semifinals of its Class 1A regional with a 6-2 victory against Iroquois West at Danville.
– BRIAN LOPEZ had a goal and an assist to boost Urbana to a 4-0 victory against visiting Bloomington on the Tigers' Senior Night. MORGAN LEWIS, HECTOR MELCHOR and WILL GIBBENS also scored for Urbana (16-3, 9-0 Big 12).
– DENNIS FORREST and AUSTIN UMBARGER scored for Danville in a 2-0 Big 12 victory at Mattoon. STEPHEN MIELKE had four saves for the Vikings (14-4-2, 5-1-2 Big 12), who outshot the Green Wave 27-4.
– Centennial swept visiting Danville 25-13, 25-10 behind MORGAN LEACH's five kills and PAULINA NOTTINGHAM's eight assists.
– EMMA CABUTTI's seven service aces, 11 digs and six kills boosted Mahomet-Seymour to a 25-23, 25-21 road victory against Rantoul. TINA AGUIRRE had 16 digs for the Eagles, while HANNAH WASCHER contributed nine kills.
– ABBY ARMSTRONG had six kills and MALLORY QUINN added three service aces and seven assists for Buckley Christ Lutheran in a 28-26, 15-25, 25-22 loss to visiting DeLand-Weldon.
– HANNAH JOHLAS had nine kills and seven service aces, leading Urbana University High to a 23-25, 26-24, 25-22 victory against host Decatur Christian.
– Bement swept visiting Villa Grove 25-8, 25-4 behind JENNI ROMACK's seven kills and three service aces. SARAH O'BRIEN contributed five digs in the win. ASHLEY GLAHN had 14 digs for Villa Grove.
– Chrisman improved to 16-6 with a 25-10, 25-5 victory against visiting Oakwood. PAIGE THEVENIN had eight kills and SHELBY ROSS totaled 17 assists for the Cardinals.
– Tuscola was swept by visiting Warrensburg-Latham 25-20, 25-14 despite four blocks by LINDSAY TROIKE and seven kills from KELSEY CLELAND.
– OLIVIA DOWNS racked up 16 digs for Fisher in a 25-20, 25-22 loss to visiting Deer Creek-Mackinaw.
– JANIE SKULBORSTAD and BECCA MILLAGE each had six kills and seven digs for St. Thomas More in a 25-14, 25-19 road victory against Clifton Central.
– Watseka improved to 19-9, defeating visiting PBL 25-22, 25-19 behind JESSICA ALLHANDS' eight kills and DOMINIQUE SZOLDATITS nine digs. KANDACE HOFER had 10 digs for PBL.
– ELAINE DAVIS' five kills and seven digs propelled Atwood-Hammond to a 25-21, 28-26 home victory against Heritage.
– BAILEE DUNLAP had five kills for Judah Christian in a 25-10, 25-3 road loss against Decatur Lutheran.
– Salt Fork remained undefeated in the Vermilion Valley Conference with a 25-11, 25-14 victory against visiting Georgetown-Ridge Farm. The Storm (20-1, 10-0 VVC) received 10 kills, four blocks and two service aces from HEATHER BAKER. TAYLOR VICE contributed four service aces and eight digs in the win.
– Bismarck-Henning improved to 10-0 in the Vermilion Valley Conference with a 25-9, 25-11 home victory against Hoopeston Area. SAMANTHA SIDDENS paced the Blue Devils (16-2) with 10 digs and six kills. EMILY HUFFORD added six blocks.
– TABITHA DAVIS had six kills and six digs for Sullivan in a 25-15, 13-25, 25-21 home victory against Argenta-Oreana. TAYLOR WALLIS and PAIGE NEUHAUSER combined for 17 assists for the Redskins.
– HALEY WITTS had five kills and five digs for Cerro Gordo in a 26-24, 25-20 loss to visiting Arcola. MORGAN NEISSLIE finished with a team-high eight digs for the Broncos.
– SERENA CALHOUN's 12 kills and four blocks lifted Schlarman to a 25-20, 25-23 home victory against Armstrong-Potomac. JORDAN MARGANSKI added five blocks, and DARRIAN CHRZANOSKI and KELSEY MORELAND combined for 29 assists for the Hilltoppers.
– St. Joseph-Ogden defeated visiting Momence behind SHELBY GEERS' seven blocks, six kills and three service aces. SYDNEY STONE had 17 assists for the Spartans (23-2).
– JULIE WALSH had four kills and five digs for Monticello in a 25-9, 25-19 road loss to Decatur St. Teresa.
– MORGAN HICKMAN's 12 assists and three service aces lifted Clinton to a 25-16, 25-11 road victory against Unity.
– Tri-County remained undefeated in the Little Okaw Valley at 8-0 after fending off Okaw Valley 26-24, 22-25, 25-16 at Bethany. AMBER MEYER had 35 assists for the Titans, while Autumn Meyer contributed 14 digs.
– Ridgeview defeated host Fieldcrest 25-21, 25-21 behind SARAH BUTLER's 10 digs, five kills and two service aces. LACEY GLEESON led Ridgeview in kills with seven.
– ERICA BAILLIE had eight assists and six digs for GCMS in a 25-10, 25-16 road loss against Tri-Valley.
– LeRoy beat visiting Flanagan behind CHELSEA KLINE's 12 kills and two service aces. STEPHANIE HOWELL added 17 digs for the Panthers.
– ELISE ELLINGER won at No. 1 singles and combined with MIRANDA FACER for a victory at No. 1 doubles as Urbana rolled to a 9-0 victory against visiting Decatur Eisenhower.
Swimming & diving
– LAURA WINGATE and AUDREY RODAWIG won two events apiece for Centennial in a 111-75 road loss to Normal Community. Wingate finished first in the 200-yard individual medley and the 500 freestyle. Rodawig captured first place in the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke.