Illini offer Centennial QB Fitzgerald

Illinois offensive coordinator Bill Cubit visited Centennial on Monday and watched Chargers quarterback Jimmy Fitzgerald work out.

By Tuesday night, the sophomore had a scholarship offer. From his hometown school.

“It’s kind of surreal getting the first Division I offer,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s awesome. It’s what I’ve dreamed about, especially because I’ve lived two miles away from the stadium my whole life.”

The Class of 2015 prospect has a ways to go before determining a college. But with his first offer in tow, expect to see other schools possibly follow suit with the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Fitzgerald.

Mississippi State was at Centennial last Friday watching him work out in P.E. class and Fitzgerald said Stanford is expected to come to Champaign on May 14 to watch him throw.

Fitzgerald also said Duke, North Carolina and Northwestern have been in touch, and he plans to attend camps at the above-mentioned schools this summer.

“I just try and stay humble,” Fitzgerald said. “I don’t want to get my head too filled up. I remember I can’t do it by myself at all. I have to give a lot of thanks to my coaches and teammates. There’s no chance I’d be here without them.”

Fitzgerald threw for 1,300 yards last season, completing 96 of 195 passes. He had 14 touchdowns compared to 11 interceptions for a Centennial team that went 2-7 in his first full year of starting with the Chargers after he transferred from St. Thomas More following his freshman year.

“I’m definitely a pass-first guy, but I’d say I’m athletic enough to get outside the pocket,” Fitzgerald said. “I definitely want to focus on getting Centennial football back on track before I start thinking about anything down the road.”

Comments

Moonpie wrote on May 08, 2013 at 10:05 am

The Illini probably struck quickly on this guy so they wouldn't get outrecruited by Toledo or Akron.

azfan wrote on May 08, 2013 at 11:05 am

Yea for cowpie you can tell you are a real Illini fan--NOT

westcoast wrote on May 08, 2013 at 12:05 pm

A high school student from Champaign - a sophomore - is being evaulated by Stanford, Duke, North Carolina and Northwestern.   He is a quarterback.  Illinois gives him an offer.  The News-Gazette interviews him.  An interesting story, worthy on several levels of a piece in the sports pages.  This student, who is probably about 16 years old, is understandably happy with the offer.

Moonpie, as always, turns the spotlight on himself.  He revels in attacking high school students in addition to his usual silly cheap shots and unfounded insults leveled against the News-Gazette.  He will come back to this string of comments many times now to enjoy his provocations.   No, he is not a fan, and worse than that, his comments usually make no sense and are only self aggrandizing and hurtful to others.  It is really quite a sad spectacle.

rfalato wrote on May 08, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Moonpie,

I have read way too many of your disgusting, hurtful and immature comments. However, after reading the last two (one which was taken down recently) I cant sit back and let you continue to offend young people as they enjoy perhaps one of their most important moments of their life.

Having an issue with Loren or other adults is one thing (and that too is way off base), but criticizing youngsters because they have been offered a scholarship is another. Perhaps you have forgotten how a decent human being should act? Do you have children or loved ones that are attacked for no reason??

Why even read this paper if you basically disagree with everything that is written in it....Also, if you have to criticize, at least you can do is have the courage of your convictions and step out from behind the curtain of the internet.

Pls take your bullying somewhere else.

Bob Falato

TheChiefLives wrote on May 08, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I just sent an email to N-G asking that his account be revoked.

Yeah, that's right Moonpie, I'm trying to censor you.  Cry me a river, internet tough-guy.

-Rob Trotter

bandwagonfan24 wrote on May 08, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Moonwaste- seriously....all you are doing is trolling for comments & everyone knows it. We are tired of it. This is a site for Illini FANS. Stay off of it. Did anyone ever tell you if you don't have anything positive to say then keep your mouth shut? Try to show a sliver of decency and manners. No one cares anymore that you clearly have some personal issue with the News Gazette and Loren Tate. Please go away. We tire of you.