2009 All-Area Softball First Team

2009 All-Area Softball First Team

FIRST TEAM

Hannah Bowen

St. Joseph-Ogden, So., infielder

The numbers: Area RBI leader (55), finished third in batting average (.557) and fourth in stolen bases (33). Hit school-record 11 triples, tying for 11th on the all-time IHSA single-season state list. Gold Glove winner as Spartans' top defensive player. Set all-time SJ-O sophomore records for hits (64) and runs (59) in addition to RBI and batting average.

Favorite athlete: Derrek Lee

Dream Date: A night game at Wrigley Field with Channing Tatum

Whom I'm texting the most: My boyfriend, Cody Dolbert

I need concert tickets to: Shinedown

Movie I have to see: The Hangover

Favorite TV show: Desperate Housewives

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A mini-Cooper convertible

My role model: My grandmother, Wilma Cornwell

My least favorite food: Tomatoes

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My grandfather Sam Bowen, my grandfather Leslie Cornwell and Jesus Christ

Jordyn Fones

Blue Ridge, So., outfielder

The numbers: Team's leadoff hitter and the only left-hander in the lineup, batted .444 and stole 12 bases, leading Knights to first sectional title in any sport. On-base average was .511. Defensively, committed only one error for state's 12th-ranked Class 1A team. "She has a terrific work ethic which rubs off on her teammates," coach Myron Schroeder said.

Favorite athlete: Natasha Watley

Dream Date: Rob Pattinson

Whom I'm texting the most: My friends

I need concert tickets to: Kenny Chesney

Movie I have to see: Seven Pounds

Favorite TV show: CSI: Miami

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: a Mustang

My role model: Chris Black

My least favorite food: Chocolate

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My grandfather John Fones, Darius Rucker and Jesus Christ

Kelsey Gass

Rantoul, Jr., infielder

The numbers: Eagles' leadoff hitter set a state record with 26 doubles, three more than the previous record. Led team with 36 runs scored, 33 runs driven in and 19 stolen bases. The shortstop hit four home runs, including two to lead off games.

Favorite athlete: Caitlyn Lowe

Dream Date: Channing Tatum

Whom I'm texting the most: Zach

I need concert tickets to: Young Jeezy

Movie I have to see: My Sister's Keeper

Favorite TV show: Spongebob

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A house and a car

My role model: Jesus Christ

My least favorite food: Ketchup

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My mom, Connie, my dad, Dennis, and my sister, Britney

Emily Harms

St. Joseph-Ogden, So., infielder

The numbers: Area home run leader (11) tied the all-time single-season area record (set by former SJ-O player Brandi Carmien in 1992). Home run total tied for 22nd on IHSA's one-season list, finished second in area in RBI (54). Batted .485. Set SJ-O sophomore record for doubles in a season (14). At current pace for RBI (81 in two years), will finish among state's all-time top 10.

Favorite athlete: LeBron James

Whom I'm texting the most: My boyfriend, Rusty

I need concert tickets to: Toby Keith

Favorite TV show: The Hills

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A new Monte Carlo with a sun roof

My role model: Abby Williams

My least favorite food: Veggies

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My grandfather, Jim Williams, Tim Finegan and Marc Clifton

Jenna Harshbarger

Monticello, Sr., pitcher

The numbers: Parkland College recruit fifth in area in strikeouts (232) and one of three 20-game winners in the area. Allowed just 108 hits in 172 innings while firing seven shutouts for state's 16th-ranked Class 2A team. Pitched Sages to fifth consecutive regional crown. During past three seasons, averaged 1.4 strikeouts per inning and had an overall 1.94 ERA.

Favorite athlete: Courtney Hoffman

Dream Date: Josh Harnett

Whom I'm texting the most: All of my friends

I need concert tickets to: Led Zeppelin

Favorite TV show: That '70s Show

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A trip to Europe

My role model: Mahatma Gandhi

My least favorite food: Peas

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My grandfather Ab Harshbarger, Martin Luther King Jr. and Bob Dylan

Hanna Mennenga

Rantoul, Jr., utility/pitcher

The numbers: Broke area record for strikeouts in a season (404), a total which is tied for 11th on the all-time IHSA single-season list. Led area in wins (school-record 23) and tied for sixth in ERA (1.16). High game for strikeouts was 19. Pitched Eagles to 14 wins in their final 17 games and first regional crown in 11 years. Also batted .359.

Favorite athlete: Jennie Finch

Whom I'm texting the most: My best friend, Traci

I need concert tickets to: Taylor Swift

Favorite TV show: The Hills

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A new Camaro

My role model: Sherri Mennenga

My least favorite food: Chili

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My brother Keaton, my twin sister Haley and my sister Heather

Ali Moss

Monticello, Sr., catcher

The numbers: Millikin recruit a repeat selection, picked off five runners at first base and eight at third base. Threw out 22 would-be basestealers and had .985 fielding average. A four-year all-conference selection and the Sages' top defensive player three straight years.

Favorite athlete: Albert Pujols

Dream Date: Reggie Bush

Whom I'm texting the most: My friend, Reid

I need concert tickets to: Kris Allen

Movie I have to see: The Proposal

Favorite TV show: Keeping Up With the Kardashians

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A beach house in Florida and donating the rest

My role model: My sisters, Ashley and Amanda Moss

My least favorite food: Meatloaf

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My grandma LaVerne Moss, my grandma Patricia Burnam, and my cousin Melissa Brown

Molly Romine

Tuscola, Sr., outfielder/pitcher

The numbers: Third in the area in RBI (48) and the Warriors' most-dominant pitcher, striking out 150 batters in 108 2/3 innings. Had a 10-5 record and 1.29 ERA. Played left field when not pitching. Also an All-Area first-team selection in basketball and volleyball. Will attend Eastern Illinois University in the fall.

Favorite athlete: Kelsi Hoey

Dream Date: Skip Schumaker

Whom I'm texting the most: Friends

I need concert tickets to: L'il Wayne

Favorite TV show: Jon and Kate Plus Eight

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A trip to Hawaii

My role model: Aja Kohlbecker

My least favorite food: Stir Fry

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: Skip Shumaker, Tiger Woods and Dennis Rodman

Regan Romshek

Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley, Fr., designated hitter/pitcher

The numbers: Second in area in strikeouts (school-record 284), fourth in ERA (0.93). Walked just 22 batters in 166 innings for state's ninth-ranked Class 1A team. Two of three no-hitters were perfect games. Offensively, the team's leadoff batter hit .422 and swatted 19 of 38 hits for extra bases.

Favorite athlete: My brother, Michael Romshek

Dream Date: David Beckham

Whom I'm texting the most: My friends Erica and Kaiti

I need concert tickets to: Taylor Swift

Movie I have to see: The Proposal

Favorite TV show: One Tree Hill

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A Nissan Maxima

My role model: My sister, Jenny Romshek

My least favorite food: Liver and onions

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian

Monica Rondon

Champaign Central, Sr., catcher/player of the year

The numbers: Set school record with eight home runs (tied for third in area) and compiled a .995 slugging average. Fourth in area in bating (.553). Drew more walks than strikeouts (13-10), drove in 35 runs and scored 24. Stole eight bases and was unanimous all-conference pick in a league where four schools played for sectional titles.

Favorite athlete: Pete Rose

Dream Date: Ryan Reynolds

Whom I'm texting the most: Too many people at once

I need concert tickets to: Shwayze

Movie I have to see: Year One

Favorite TV show: The Office

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: 1967 Mustang

My role model: Taryn Nohmer

My least favorite food: Spaghetti

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My dad, Carlos Rondon, Pete Rose and Kelly Mantavo

Mariah Skaggs

Schlarman, Jr., outfielder/pitcher

The numbers: Fourth in the area in wins (19) and tied for sixth in ERA (1.16). Fired five no-hitters for state's eighth-ranked Class 1A team. Was unbeaten against Vermilion Valley Conference opponents. Fielded flawlessly this season while pitching. Offensively, batted .356 and led the Hilltoppers with eight sacrifices.

Dream Date: Jacob from Twilight

Whom I'm texting the most: Cody

I need concert tickets to: Nickelback

Movie I have to see: New Moon

Favorite TV show: House

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: 2010 Camaro

My role model: Randy Skaggs

My least favorite food: Spinach

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: My sister Samantha Neil, my boyfriend Cody Watson and my cousin, Chelsie High

Jenna Slifer

St. Joseph-Ogden, Jr., pitcher

The numbers: Pitching ace for team ranked fourth in Class 2A, second in area with 22 victories. Had wins over six schools that won regional titles: Hoopeston Area, Momence, Monticello, Rantoul, Schlarman and Tuscola. Held opposing players to a .175 batting average. Career record is 54-11. With 22 more wins, will break the all-time area career record.

Dream Date: Mark Weber

Whom I'm texting the most: Mark Montgomery

I need concert tickets to: Hannah Montana

Movie I have to see: Up in 3D

Favorite TV show: Law and Order: SVU

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: A mansion

My role model: My mom, Nan Slifer

My least favorite food: Seafood

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: Roger Koss, Bill Gates and Mallory Weber

Mallory Weber

Salt Fork, Sr., infielder

The numbers: A repeat selection, was the area's top hitter (.607 average) and was fifth in stolen bases (31). Nineteen of her 35 hits went for extra bases. Was picked as the Vermilion Valley Conference Player of the Year. Graduated as Catlin's valedictorian. Will enroll at the University of Illinois and major in engineering.

Favorite athlete: Jenna Slifer

Dream Date: Chad Michael Murray

Whom I'm texting the most: Maddy Stutsman

I need concert tickets to: Ludacris

Movie I have to see: House Bunny

Favorite TV show: One Tree Hill

With my lottery winnings, I'm buying: Another lottery ticket

My role model: Sisters Kasey Murphy and Jesse Weber

My least favorite food: Asparagus

Three people I'd like to have dinner with: Annie Craig, Nan Slifer and Britney Spears

Sections (3):Prep Sports, Sports, Softball
Categories (3):Prep Sports, Softball, Sports

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments