URBANA – During the regular season, Champaign Central's girls' tennis team was handily beaten in dual matches by the best squads the area has to offer.
None of that mattered at Saturday's Urbana Sectional. The Maroons used their strength in doubles to capture the team championship that surprised even themselves.
Marcus Jackson, Jim Rossow, and Fred Kroner talk area high school football, cross country, golf and other sports.
Depending on your browser settings, you may have to right click the link below and select "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..."
– JOHN TABB had two goals and four assists for top-seeded St. Thomas More in an 8-1 victory against Georgetown-Ridge Farm at the Class 1A Schlarman Regional in Danville. ZACH SHIN scored three times and added an assist for the Sabers. RYAN HOWARD scored for G-RF.
Today's topic: Best area girls' tennis tandems, courtesy Tony Bleill
Allison Hansen & Maria Mears
Athletes of the Week
Recently: Scored four goals in two matches – breaking the single-season school record – while leading the Tigers to the Big 12 title
I need concert tickets to ... Lil Wayne
– BETHANY SEXTON (No. 4), NEHA PATEL (No. 5) and COURTNEY HART (No. 6) won singles titles to help Danville win the Big 12 title on the Illinois campus. AMY SHAH was second at No. 3, RACHAEL LEWIS third at No. 2 and EMMA PECK fourth at No. 1 for the Vikings, whose three doubles teams also placed in the top three Friday.
– BECCA MILLAGE had 12 kills and MADDIE KUNAS five aces in host St. Thomas More's 25-16, 25-16 win against Iroquois West. SHANNON SIUTS had 11 assists and RACHEL PARKHILL eight digs in the win. COURTNEY MILLER had four aces in the loss.
– Hoopeston Area/Bismarck-Henning clinched the Vermilion Valley Conference title with a 5-1 victory against Salt Fork/Westville. IAN PARK had three goals and KRAIG VanWIERINGEN added two goals and two assists for the Cornjerkers (12-5-1, 7-1 VVC).
Jordan Danzl, Salt Fork, senior, Golf
Recently: Medalist led Storm to its fourth Vermilion Valley Conference title in a row.
I need concert tickets to ... Green Day.
I'm dying to see ... "The Social Network."
I'm always texting ... Santa Claus.
If I had a million bucks, I'd ... invest it.
Swimming & Diving
– JENNY HILL (50-yard freestyle, 100 butterfly) and GABI RAJIC (200 individual medley, 100 backstroke) were dual winners to lead Urbana past Danville 103-82.