Getting Personal: Kelly White

Getting Personal is an email Q&A with a local personality. Here, a chat with Kelly White, the executive director of 40 North 88 West, the Champaign County Arts Council, and an art history instructor at Parkland College.

Big change in cookie sales starts today

This year, when a Girl Scout comes to your door selling cookies, you'll choose what you want and she'll give you the boxes then and there.

Girl Scout cookies go on sale starting today (Friday, Feb. 1), and local Girl Scouts are now selling them directly, rather than taking your order and delivering them later.

Parkland Foundation chief to step down

CHAMPAIGN — Come June 30, Carl Meyer plans to hang up his hat as executive director of the Parkland College Foundation.

Meyer, 72, has served in that post since 1997. During that time, the foundation has raised $25.5 million for scholarships, programs and equipment.

Totenberg to speak at UI

CHAMPAIGN — Veteran NPR reporter Nina Totenberg, the voice of every major Supreme Court story in recent memory, will give a talk Feb. 11 at the University of Illinois.

Totenberg was recently awarded the Illinois Prize for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism.

Thomasboro woman recognized over and over for sending care packages to troops

THOMASBORO — Ruby Splittstoesser needs a display case.

She could use one for all of the tokens of appreciation she has received for her efforts on behalf of U.S. troops.

Perhaps she could place the display case at Heartland Dry Cleaners, Thomasboro, which she operates with her husband, Dan.

Or maybe she would prefer one at home.

For the retirees Jan. 27, 2013

For information about services available to older adults, contact Karen Bodnar, director of the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) and Helen Mary Stevick Senior Citizens Center, 48 E. Main St., Champaign, IL 61820, phone 359-6500.

RSVP and the Stevick Senior Center are administered by Family Services of Champaign County.

Letter from Birdland: Upon reflection, I know what killed chickens

When I left you last week, I was mulling over a difficult problem with a cup of tea. A possum had gotten into my chicken coop the night before and destroyed five of my chickens.

I have had time to recollect, and I figured out what happened. There was no sign of forced entry into the coop, and so I wondered how the evil perpetrator got in to commit its damage upon my flock.

Reluctant Townie: Thermometer protocol: A family dilemma

We had a system in place to distinguish between the rapidly accumulating stockpile of digital thermometers in and around our kitchen's first aid drawer — those that were safe for general use and those that were strictly for The Kid — and that system entailed drawing a small, free-floating cartoon butt on the blunt end of The Kid's thermometers with a Sharpie.

Getting Personal: Connie Kaiser

Getting Personal is an email Q&A with a local personality.

Studio Visit: Kate Fritz

Studio Visit appears in Sunday editions of The News-Gazette.