THOMASBORO — The village has come up with a unique-to-Illinois way to thank those who served: plaster their faces and feats all over town.
Thomasboro is only the third Land of Lincoln community to participate in the national Military Tribute Banner program, also in place in Lincoln and Mason City.
The program honors both veteran and active-duty military members with colorful banners displayed on street poles, outside government buildings, in cemeteries and elsewhere.
The banner project is being paid for locally via GoFundMe donors. As of Friday afternoon, seven had given a combined $510 to Thomasboro’s cause.
Twenty-seven signs are now hanging throughout the village, leaving just three more to fund and put up.
The 30 Thomasboro residents being honored, by branch:
Frederic B. Meek
Bryce G. Morris
Sean T. O’Donnell
Gary L. Albers
Willard Bunnell Sr.
Daniel R. Ehler
James M. Richardson
Andrew J. Tiede
Christopher M. Wiese
Ronald J. Castle
Kenneth J. Costa
Gerald J. Yusko
Herman S. Albers
Ronald D. Frerichs
Find a local business
- Asmussen | Former 'remote' Bielema appreciates Big Ten's TV power
- 'Couldn't have written a better script'
- Atlas Financial: Q2 Earnings Snapshot
- J&J to end sales of baby powder with talc globally next year
- Jay Simpson | Celebration another positive sign
- Police arrest man accused of shooting inside Mall of America
- Area history, Aug. 12, 2022
- Good Morning, Illini Nation: Five-star wing earns UI offer
- Top of the Morning, Aug. 12, 2022
- Dairy farm in Ukraine's Donbas region struggles to survive
- Details of fatal hit-and-run emerge during murder arraignment
- UPDATE: Champaign man dies after being hit by car; driver arrested
- Urbana football cancels 2022 varsity football season
- Eight years in prison for St. Joseph felon who had gun, drugs
- UPDATE: Victim from single-vehicle accident in west Champaign identified
- Revised Mahomet residential development draws panel's recommendation
- Tonight: Champaign council discussion of varsity football at McKinley Field
- Day 1 of Royal Donut a sweet success
- Five-out look might be Illinois' best
- UPDATED: Jones out as Urbana football coach; Vikings grad Blanden steps in