Why is Stix Arcade Bar closing?
It’ll soon be “game over” for downtown Champaign’s first arcade bar, but there’s still time to hop on the sticks.
But just know: The arcade machines aren’t for sale.
Stix Arcade Bar owners announced via Facebook that the establishment will close its doors on an undetermined date in August after two-and-a-half years of off-and-on business.
“Our lease is up,” co-owner Justin Taylor said. “We had talked to the landlord, and it became a mutual decision that now’s the time to move on.”
Taylor, owner of JT Walkers and Project 47 in Mahomet, opened the business with Wayne Lam, founder of 83 Vietnamese in Champaign, in February 2020.
“I love downtown, I hope it’s able to bounce back, for right now, we have other business ventures we need to focus on,” Taylor said.
Stix’s first month was rollicking for business, but the arcade bar couldn’t recover after the pandemic shutdown and subsequent closures.
A two-month hiatus after a December 2021 shooting outside the establishment didn’t help, either. The bar has been closed to the public for almost half of its existence.
Plus, “the downtown crowd, late-night is where we made a lot of money, and that crowd kind of dissipated,” Taylor said.
So, why announce it now? They wanted to “give people enough of a head’s up” to join in the farewell.
“We’re going to have a lot of specials, go through the last of our inventory and give people a chance to come out and play the games before we close down,” Taylor said.
A final closing date is coming soon. After that, Taylor will continue running Project 47 and try to start the process of bringing a smaller version of JT Walkers to Mahomet.
Meanwhile, Lam is getting 83 Vietnamese reopened. He owns some of the arcade machines — the rest are the property of J&J Ventures.
“We just appreciate everybody that came out over the years, obviously through difficult times and tough schedules,” Taylor said. “They made this place a fun place to hang out.”
Find a local business
- Rescuers to move whale stranded in French river to saltwater
- Trump says he's testifying Wednesday in NY investigation
- Serena's Choice: Williams' tough call resonates with women
- Afghan man charged in killings of Muslims in New Mexico
- Native Americans urge boycott of 'tone deaf' Pilgrim museum
- Today in History: August 10, Ruth Bader Ginsburg sworn in
- As Spider-Man turns 60, fans reflect on diverse appeal
- GOP rallies around Trump following FBI search of his estate
- Did Trump break the law? FBI search raises fresh questions
- Anne Heche in critical condition, on ventilator after crash
- UPDATE: Victim from single-vehicle accident in west Champaign identified
- UPDATE: Champaign man dies after being hit by car; driver arrested
- Details of fatal hit-and-run emerge during murder arraignment
- Good Morning, Illini Nation: Matthew Mayer update
- Eight years in prison for St. Joseph felon who had gun, drugs
- Urbana man charged with possessing child pornography
- Monkeypox confirmed in adult at a Rantoul day care center
- Farm Family of the Week | The Hermanns of DeLand/Weldon
- Tom's #Mailbag, Aug. 5, 2022
- Former Champaign man arrested after paid-for pole barn never built