For information about services available to older adults, contact Kellie Anderson, director of the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) and Helen Mary Stevick Senior Citizens Center, 2102 Windsor Place, C, 217-359-6500.
RSVP and the Stevick Senior Center are both administered by Family Service of Champaign County.
HOT LUNCH PROGRAM
The Peace Meal Nutrition Program provides daily hot lunches at 11:30 a.m. for a small donation and a one-day advance reservation at sites in Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul, Sidney (home delivery only), Mahomet (home delivery only) and Homer.
For reservations, call 800-543-1770. Reservations for Monday need to be made by noon Friday.
NOTE: There is no change to home deliveries, but at congregate sites, you can get a carryout meal.
- Chicken pot pie, broccoli, biscuit, whole grain fruit bar.
- Ham and beans, copper carrots, cornbread, fruit cocktail.
- Chili mac, mixed lettuce salad with dressing, dinner roll, warm fruit cobbler.
- Roast beef in gravy, mashed potatoes, seasoned green beans, whole grain wheat, fruited gelatin.
- Tuna salad sandwich, vegetable soup, bun or bread and crackers, Mandarin oranges.
If you are 55 and older and want to volunteer in your community, RSVP (funded by AmeriCorps Seniors and the Illinois Department on Aging) provides a unique link to local nonprofits needing your help. We offer support, benefits and a safe connection to our partner sites. Please contact Vicky Welser at email@example.com or 217-359-6500 for volunteer information.
Food for Seniors:
- Join this vibrant group of volunteers from 6:45 to 9 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays each month. Must be able to stand and lift up to 20 pounds. Help fellow seniors struggling with food scarcity.
Champaign County Forest Preserve District:
- Love the outdoors? Take a hike and do good Be a Trail Steward! Or if you love working with plants, the district can fill your “need to garden.” Be a Garden Steward. RSVP can tell you more.
- Help process tax documents with VITA at Salt and Light, Urbana. Training provided. RSVP provides equipment for limited contact.
Urbana Park District.
- The district is in need of raised-bed fruit and vegetable gardeners; parking-lot Bingo helpers; and translators of Spanish, French or Chinese. Sound like fun? Call RSVP for more info.
- Volunteer from home. Get matched with other seniors who may be lonely or isolated and just chat on the phone a couple of times a week. If you are outgoing and enjoy talking with others, call Vicky at RSVP to become a Friendly Caller.
- Licensed drivers needed for trips to grocery stores, pharmacies, doctor appointments, etc. Everyone wears a mask, which is provided if necessary. Volunteers are also reimbursed for mileage. Please call Terry at Family Service at 217-352-0099 for information.
Other volunteer opportunities are available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.