Danville man gets five years for mob action in 2017 stabbing death

 

Listen to this article

DANVILLE — A Danville man who was present at the May 2017 fatal stabbing of another man at the Fair Oaks housing complex is headed to prison for five years.

Ronald Pettis, 24, was sentenced Thursday after a jury last month acquitted him of first-degree murder but convicted him of mob action in the May 30, 2017, death of Kuron Kimmons, 43. Pettis faced a sentence ranging from probation to six years in prison.

Pettis was the first of four people to be tried in connection with Mr. Kimmons' death. His younger sister, Malika Anthony, 16, faces five counts of first-degree murder and one count of mob action. Prosecutors allege that Anthony, 15 at the time of the murder, actually stabbed Mr. Kimmons. Their older sister, Ronesha E. Pettis, 26, and Marcus D. Jefferson, 24, each face one count of first-degree murder, aggravated battery and mob action.

During the trial, prosecutors said the stabbing was a result of a fight that started when Pettis, his sisters and others descended upon LewShawn Clark at her apartment in the 900 block of Campbell Lane as the Memorial Day weekend was ending. Clark testified that her teenage daughter, Chantel, and Anthony had fought the previous Friday. Prosecutors said Mr. Kimmons had stepped in to break up the fight when Anthony stabbed him.

WDWS Reporter

Tim Ditman is a reporter at WDWS 1400-AM. His email is tditman@wdws.com.