Listen to this article

CHAMPAIGN — Food left on a stove apparently sparked a smoky fire early Tuesday in a northwest Champaign home.

Champaign Fire Battalion Chief Andy Quarnstrom said a resident of the home in the 1900 block of Garden Hills Drive sustained burns from trying to put out a fire and needed treatment at a hospital.

Firefighters were called to the home by one of the residents at 4:22 a.m.

When they pulled up, firefighters saw light smoke coming from the front door of the single-family home, found a fire on the stove and quickly put it out with a fire extinguisher.

A smoke detector alerted the family to the fire and all were able to get out, Quarnstrom said.

Reporter

Mary Schenk is a reporter covering police, courts and breaking news at The News-Gazette. Her email is mschenk@news-gazette.com, and you can follow her on Twitter (@schenk).

Trending Videos