Listen to this article

CHAMPAIGN — Two families are looking for other places to live temporarily after fire damaged their homes early Wednesday in west Champaign.

Champaign Fire Department spokesman Randy Smith said firefighters were called at 3:12 a.m. to the 500 block of South Duncan Road where and attached garage was filled with smoke from what he described as a small fire.

Firefighters are still trying to figure out what started the fire in the one-story home. There was a car and personal belongings in the single-vehicle garage. The two occupants found the smoke even though their smoke alarm did not sound, Smith said.

As firefighters were working at that house, they were summoned to another just four blocks away in the 900 block of South Duncan. A smoke detector sounded about 3:32 a.m., alerting the two residents to a fire in a bedroom.

Firefighters quickly put out that fire, which they determined was caused by improperly disposed smoking materials.

One of the occupants was in the room where the mattress caught fire, Smith said. Damage was contained to the bedroom, he said.

No one was hurt in either fire, Smith said.

Reporter

Mary Schenk is a reporter covering police, courts and breaking news at The News-Gazette. Her email is mschenk@news-gazette.com, and you can follow her on Twitter (@schenk).

Trending Videos