One arrested, second sought in videorecorded sexual assault of 17-year-old


Listen to this article

URBANA — Urbana police have arrested one man and are looking for another in connection with the sexual assault of a teen earlier this week that was recorded on a cellphone by a third man.

Urbana police Lt. Rich Surles said two men were criminally charged Thursday with having sex with a 17-year-old girl who was passed out at a home in Urbana Wednesday afternoon; warrants were issued for their arrests Thursday.

Surles said Gerald B. Jackson, 20, who listed an address in the 1500 block of Hunter Street, Urbana, turned himself in at the police station Friday morning. Police are still looking for Markel Brown, 21, whose last known address was in the 900 block of South Lierman Avenue, Urbana.

Based on what authorities saw on the phone, Jackson was charged with criminal sexual assault, a Class 1 felony, and criminal sexual abuse, a Class 4 felony. Brown was charged with criminal sexual abuse.

Surles said the alleged assault happened about 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Austin Drive home of the man who was recording the action. Although he was initially arrested, he has not been charged in connection with the alleged sex assault.

"The victim was hanging out with all three men. They were there for a while," Surles said, adding that all of them were drinking alcohol.

The girl passed out and the alleged assault took place, he said.

A girlfriend who had been with her earlier returned to the home and found her unconscious and partially undressed, Surles said. She and another female friend got the teen dressed and took her back to her mother's Urbana home. Accompanying them was the man who had recorded the assault on his phone.

Because she was still unresponsive, the mother called police.

"The mother reported, 'My daughter is unconscious and I believe she has been sexually assaulted,'" Surles said.

Police summoned an ambulance and the teen was treated at Carle Foundation Hospital.

"She has absolutely no recollection of the events," he said.

They also talked to the man who recorded the interaction and seized his phone as evidence.

Jackson is expected to appear in court Monday on the charges. If convicted of the more serious charge, he faces penalties ranging from probation to four to 15 years in prison.

The criminal sexual abuse charge carries penalties ranging from probation to one to three years in prison.

Bond on the warrants for both Jackson and Brown were set at $250,000.


Mary Schenk is a reporter covering police, courts and breaking news at The News-Gazette. Her email is, and you can follow her on Twitter (@schenk).