Tom's #Mailbag, May 24, 2019


Listen to this article

Submit questions for Tom's Mailbag . A sample of what's to come at 2 p.m. today::

"Who would I contact to complain about the excessive noise emanating from the fairgrounds? Friday night's Nelly concert was over the top on the sound level. I live four miles away as the crow flies and felt like I was on the dance floor."

The Champaign County Fairgrounds is in an unincorporated area and does have a Special Use Permit, said John Hall, Champaign County's director of planning & zoning.

"Live music events must have a Recreation & Entertainment License and the event on May 17 did have an R&E License," he said. "The Champaign County Board Environment and Land Use Committee (ELUC) approves all R&E Licenses.

"Citizens can make a complaint to the sheriff's office during the event or they can call our department during business hours or leave a message after hours and we will pass the complaint along to ELUC at the next R&E license renewal or citizens can complain directly to ELUC at a regularly scheduled ELUC meeting."


Tom Kacich is a columnist and the author of Tom's Mailbag at The News-Gazette. His column appears Sundays. His email is, and you can follow him on Twitter (@tkacich).