MAHOMET – Madeleine Claire McNulty, 16, of Mahomet passed away on Saturday morning (Feb. 25, 2017) at her home of complications from PCDH19 epilepsy.
Madeleine was born March 28, 2000, in Paris, France. She was the daughter of Thomas and Dawn (Barta) McNulty.
Madeleine was an honor roll student at Mahomet-Seymour High School and was active in dance and gymnastics. She loved to travel the world with her family, lived in multiple countries and competed in the Special Olympics - often winning multiple medals. Madeleine was a shining example to everyone how to overcome barriers. She lived with epilepsy, but did not let it define her.
Madeleine was a proud member of the Mahomet Area Magic Special Olympics team as a gymnast, bocce player and bowler. She danced at Twist and Shout Dance & Cheer Studio in Mahomet. Madeleine regularly attended summer camps through the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago (Camp Blackhawk) and Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan (Camp Discovery).
Madeleine is survived by her parents; her brother, Devin McNulty; her sister, Caitlin McNulty; and her two dogs, Gulliver and Ginger.
Madeleine is preceded in death by three grandparents, Merlin Barta of Sterling, and John and Helen C. McNulty of Evergreen Park.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, March 3, at Blair-Owens Funeral Home, 102 E. Dunbar St., Mahomet. Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 4, at Our Lady of the Lake, 501 W. State St., Mahomet.
Donations in honor of Madeleine may be sent to:
- Mahomet Magic Special Olympics Team, P.O. Box 424, Mahomet, IL 61853
- Epilepsy Foundation of Great Chicago (please indicate to support ("Camp Blackhawk") - http://epilepsychicago.org/
- Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan (please indicate to support "Camp Discovery") - http://www.epilepsymichigan.org/
- PCDH19 Alliance - http://pcdh19info.org/
- Delta Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation - https://www.dphiefoundation.org/
Condolences may be offered online at www.owensfuneralhomes.com.